Need help!! Lethargic hen , I don’t know what’s wrong.

It sounds like she is not eating, her crop is empty, and she is passing yellow to green runny droppings. Hard to know what is going on exactly. It could be a reproductive disorder, possible coccidiosis, or any number of things. Have her eggshells been normal and hard? Some chickens may have a shell-less egg stuck or break inside, which can make them feel uncomfortable for a day or two. I would give her a few drops of Poultry NutriDrench is you have some. Other electrolytes will work as well. Try to offer some water up to her beak often. I would make a soft scrambled egg, and see if she would take some. Mushy chicken feed made wet with water would also be good to offer. Post some pictures of her droppings if you can.
She drinks water when I offer it and sometimes she’ll reach down and drink herself. I have electrolytes in it right now but I have nutridrench handy. She seemed like she wanted wet mushy feed when I offered it earlier but she wouldn’t eat it. The last egg she laid a few days ago was a normal hard shell and I haven’t gotten shellless eggs from any of my hens in a long time. If an egg broke inside her or is running loose what can I do about it ? I posted pictures of her dropping from earlier today a few posts up. Thank you for getting back to me.

If she's drinking and acting like she wants to eat but won't, then I would suspect a crop issue - could be that she has a blockage somewhere else. Also have you looked inside her beak for any lesions, plaques or canker?

I agree, it may be worth worming her and treating for Coccidiosis if you don't find anything else that's obvious.

@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive
I’ll try to get the safeguard today and should I replace the nutridrench with Corid then? Also I’m not sure how to give a dewormer or for how long.

I don’t know if I said this earlier but she jolts sometimes or flinches when I touch her and I under her vent (I think abdomen - not directly under vent) her skin is pretty warm and it sounds like her insides or organs are grumbling or making some weird sounds but it’s frequent.

@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive
I’ll try to get the safeguard today and should I replace the nutridrench with Corid then? Also I’m not sure how to give a dewormer or for how long.

I don’t know if I said this earlier but she jolts sometimes or flinches when I touch her and I under her vent (I think abdomen - not directly under vent) her skin is pretty warm and it sounds like her insides or organs are grumbling or making some weird sounds but it’s frequent.
Can you look underneath her really well since she jolts/flinches when you touch her abdomen? Maybe she has some type of injury or sore?

Yes, I would use the Corid and stop the Nutri-Drench.
Safeguard dosage is 0.23ml per pound of weight, given orally for 5 days.

@Wyorp Rock
I don’t see an injury but her abdomen is still red and I think swollen. I think whatever is wrong is down there. She poops a few times a day however it’s usually liquidy and green. She still won’t eat and drinks when I offer it to her but not a whole lot

@Wyorp Rock

I don’t see an injury but her abdomen is still red and I think swollen. I think whatever is wrong is down there. She poops a few times a day however it’s usually liquidy and green. She still won’t eat and drinks when I offer it to her but not a whole lot
I’m really scared she has egg yolk peritonitis
:hugs I'm sorry, I know it's scary.
Can you get a photo of her and the poop?
Does the abdomen feel like it's fluid filled or is it hard?

@Wyorp Rock
This is her poop from yesterday and today. Both are green and wet. She’s tired most of the time now and her comb is obviously flopping. Her bottom is bare because months ago I cut the feathers when they had a ton of mite eggs that I couldn’t wash out but she hasn’t had problems with mites or anything since
A5618AF1-5254-407E-8AED-50B87C206920.jpeg E2E5C523-DC46-4BF7-983B-74B43AF6347B.jpeg 26ECF1D8-2B24-4224-B200-AC65E385A5DD.jpeg 7CFE18C5-1EB2-44B4-A901-BA156555046D.jpeg B6080A0C-C9F9-4BAE-A336-BB592CA5395C.jpeg

Attachments

• C07AF51F-AD88-43E8-989C-E62EE0BF9DC9.jpeg
    C07AF51F-AD88-43E8-989C-E62EE0BF9DC9.jpeg
    337.5 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom