Need help sexing my two "ladies"

thedude14

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 9, 2014
Hello everyone! I always type in chicken questions on Google and back yard chickens always comes up first so I've decided it's time to join the forum! I've had these two chickens since they were a week old. They are now 15 weeks of age and I am still trying to guess of they are hens or not. Lots of people have opinions but none are consistent. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I don't know what breed they are I am sorry but here is a few pictures of them

Wow, thank you guys very much!! Very glad to hear they are both pullets
1f605.png
phew! Excited for my first egg!! I plan to get one more chicken soon hopefully they all will get along!

So another person told me they are both roosters. These chickens are only 4 months old is it normal for a pullet to have such large comb and waddles this early??

It's totally normal for a production bred bird to have this size comb and wattles at this age. I had a red sex link that started laying at 16 weeks, so her comb was large pretty early on.

Your black sex link is sexed by color, sex link means the sex is linked to the gender. Her male counterpart is barred, not solid colored like she is.

At this age, roosters would have hackle and saddle feathers coming in. They'd also have a leggy, unfinished look to them. Your birds are feminine, nice rounded feathers instead of long and pointy, and they look nicely proportioned. I'm 100% confident those are both hens, enough to say if you want to make some easy money, lay a bet with the rooster-sayer. You'll be collecting inside a month, I believe
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom