Need help with a shopping list

OK, So the area I left white (where the actual words "nesting boxes" are written, but not where the arrow is pointing) is the part of the shed you are gonna leave as a shed ... and the elevation drawing is the view of the new wall your gonna build to divide/split the coop from the shed, from the shed side?

OK, So the area I left white (where the actual words "nesting boxes" are written, but not where the arrow is pointing) is the part of the shed you are gonna leave as a shed ... and the elevation drawing is the view of the new wall your gonna build to divide/split the coop from the shed, from the shed side?

Yes, exactly

I'll try to answer all questions:

@123RedBeard The walls will go up to the rafters. I'll need to put OSB on the underside of the trusses so they don't roost up there. I'll probably actually need to get another two sheets of OSB to accommodate for that, and at that point I'll need to put OSB all the way up, just because. Good catch. As for ventilation, I was going to cut a vent on the bottom of the exterior wall in front of the nesting boxes. Not exactly sure what the eaves look like, but we'll cut some vents up top there, too. It's hard to plan for that when we did the inspection and the shed was locked, or I would have taken some pictures. I didn't look that close when we looked at the house before the offer because I didn't plan to use the shed for a coop at that time. I wonder if we should throw a window in to let some light into the coop area. The storm door would let some light in as there's an existing window, but it won't be much. The area you shaded in with yellow is the coop section. The nesting boxes would be in the open, but on the rear of them will be a hopper door so we can just drop it from the shed side to grab the eggs. Where you wrote "Nests" is the hopper door from elevation view. It's just going to be trimmed out with hinges on the bottom is all I was showing. There is no pop door on the elevation view, just to the exterior. I don't want them getting in my shed, which is the whole reason I'm putting up a wall in the first place.

@Blooie Even if I can quick sketch it up it doesn't mean I'm above forgetting something obvious haha!

@aart I have to have the set up this way. The shed is existing, so I'm just retrofitting the coop into it. The existing door to the shed is on the west side, so I designed the coop/run to be on the south side to provide for a little bit of sunshine, especially since there's a big tree right there and it will all be shaded most of the year. I figured it would also help with ice and such. The east side of the shed is facing the neighbor's yard and I don't think there's enough space for the run, though I guess we could still put the pop door on the south side. The bummer about that would be that I wouldn't have the door swinging into a wall, so it could be somewhat difficult to maneuver around the door to get things out if I pull around 3 feet out of the east side for coop space. The shed (by the listing info) is 10x12. I don't have exact height as, again, I didn't get a chance to FV anything. I haven't had a chance to mull over ceiling as I didn't think about it before. I know there are roof vents, though, and on the south side, so that might work to just use the existing roof vents for ventilation if I leave it as a mesh ceiling. I think that this picture is the best I can do for a picture of a shed, unfortunately.

You could still have the pop door and run on the south side....and the door would still be opening against a wall, the north wall instead of the east wall.
You don't have your location listed so I'm not sure of your climate, that can make a difference.
Is the tree deciduous? That shade might be needed in summer and be gone in winter.

That 32" is going to seriously inhibit the functionality.
Where will the roosts be?

I like the storage/nest configuration.

I would not make the coops wall and ceiling out of OSB, but mesh for ventilation and visibility.
Tho that will give you some dust issues in the rest of the shed.

How good are you with ACAD? Grabbing your whole coop geometry and rotating then stretching it should be pretty easy.
If you attach the file, either here or in a PM, I can modify it quickly for you.

Last edited:
@aart I'm a draftsman as well, though you probably can't tell from my quick 10 minute sketch while waiting for final finish selections from the owners on my casework shops (hence my inches vs. feet and inches in dimensions) I was working on haha. I've got a quick second so I'll stretch that. My fear is that by expanding the coop I'll lose so much shed space. Additionally, I'm not exactly sure where that door is or how big it is, but I'm guessing it's mostly centered, along with a smaller window along the east wall that I didn't draw in, which is "up" on my drawing. I will definitely need that shade tree in the summer. We're in South Dakota and it gets to the 90's-100's in the summer and -50+ windchill in the winters, so the tree is pretty necessary for protection and shade. I will go with a mesh ceiling as I think that's probably the way to go. I took a look at your coop and it's amazing. I may be stealing a few ideas :)

I wonder if I can pull the wall with the door further in to the shed space... Let me just sketch it in a moment.

Cool!
Go to 48"?
Are you living at the location of the shed, I'm guessing maybe not?
Definitely need to know where the existing door is.

Copy the whole floor plan over in the file and try rotating the coop portion....always good to look at different configurations.

Having not enough room for the birds might be more of a PITA than losing shed space,
but not sure of what all you might need to put in there.
What I see is that you have plenty of space for a metal can to store your feed in and maybe a bale of shaving and/or straw.

Cool!
Go to 48"?
Are you living at the location of the shed, I'm guessing maybe not?
Definitely need to know where the existing door is.

Copy the whole floor plan over in the file and try rotating the coop portion....always good to look at different configurations.

Having not enough room for the birds might be more of a PITA than losing shed space,
but not sure of what all you might need to put in there.
What I see is that you have plenty of space for a metal can to store your feed in and maybe a bale of shaving and/or straw.
We are not. We close on the new house October 2nd. Maybe. We've had a bit of a large speedbump with the funding of the folks buying our current house, so we have yet to see how that all plays out. Seriously. A week before closing. SMDH.

I mean, I suppose we could go to 48". It wouldn't change much at that point. Just 4 more inches.

Rotated plan:

I'm not sure I like the shed layout. We still need space in the shed to store the snowblower and lawn mower, as well as yard tools and such. I suppose the snowblower would be fine behind the door, and we could swap that out with the lawnmower in the winter. The door also swings into the pop door, which I'm not a fan of either, but it's not the end of the world. I do like that the window (which I neglected to add to the plan again
he.gif
) would add some nice circulation to the coop in the summer. The bummer is that we'd lose that light in the shed, and it's not wired for electrical so no lights.

How many chickens do you plan on putting there?

What is your plan for a roost? Seems to me that the roost(s) would need to go the short way across, as they need to be 15"-18" away from the wall, and still allow enough room to fly up and down ...

How many chickens do you plan on putting there?

What is your plan for a roost? Seems to me that the roost(s) would need to go the short way across, as they need to be 15"-18" away from the wall, and still allow enough room to fly up and down ...
We have five ladies, with a city ordinance only ever allowing 6. We have have no desire to go through the permitting process to allow us to have more. Frankly, we have more than enough eggs lol.

We will be bringing our current roost with us, which is basically a ladder with 4 rungs that are 2' wide. It's worked sufficiently for us for the past year and a half, so I should think it'd work fine in the new coop. That said, I just realized that using the floor plan where the coop section is on the south side of the shed might get a little tight for that since I planned to have it leaning up against the wall right next to the door. Hmm.

Quote: I'd flip it vertically so door is on other side from pop door.... but.....
....Ahhh, if you have a mower and thrower to store your original design would definitely work better.....
...and with only 5 birds it'll probably be fine at the 44 or 48 or as far as you can move it over.

Not sure how a ladder roost will fit in there...4' is just tight.

But that's a long ways to go get the thrower...where are you located.

Back
Top Bottom