Need ORAL dosage of Tylan 50 for Turkey + bantam & std chickens

I gave 1.6 cc of Tylan 200 to a 20 lb turkey hen in the skin in back of neck as described in another post. I separated it in half into 2 different places but her neck looks red tonight. Looks like she may have had an injection site reaction. Has anyone else experienced this? What can be done to give her some comfort?

Tylan can be given orally 3 times daily. There is always a chance of tissue damage with injecting it, and it normally is given into the breast muscle. Dosage for a 20 pound turkey would be 1.25 to 1.5 ml of Tylan 200 given by mouth 3 times a day. You could even dilute it half and half with water if it tastes too strong.

I read from numerous sources that injecting it into breast muscle would damage the muscle forever. It was recommended to inject it under the skin in back of neck to avoid that. I had been giving it in water in that concentration. But she seemed to hit a plateau.

I read from numerous sources that injecting it into breast muscle would damage the muscle forever. It was recommended to inject it under the skin in back of neck to avoid that. I had been giving it in water in that concentration. But she seemed to hit a plateau.
I have seen the injection site necrosis, and it is nasty!

If she were smaller like a chicken, I would suggest to hold her several times a day with a warm compress or heat to it for about 10 minutes. But since that is impractical, I would put some cortisone ointment on it twice a day, and watch for any signs of abscess. Aspirin 325mg in each liter of water for a day or two might help as an anti-inflammatory and pain medicine.

Thanks so much for this advice! It is much appreciated! She is such a good hen and now she's afraid because her neck hurts. I feel awful. I'm going to continue with the oral dosing only but will add this treatment.

How many days in a row do I continue the oral doing - do you know?

So there I was two days ago, after reading this post and with a turkey who can't walk hardly due to swollen foot pad, etiology unknown, standing on my scale WITH THE AFOREMENTIONED TURKEY, who incidentally weighed in at 20 pounds on the beak! Thank you to the participants of this article. P.s. I'm not sure I probably weigh about as much as the turkey! Bad genetics to blame.

Back
Top Bottom