Need solid advice regarding coccidiosis preventative measures

Val123

Hatching
Apr 19, 2020
Hi everyone,

I am in a bit of a pickle and I am looking for some advice from somebody who has some deep knowledge about the coccidiosis vaccine, medicated feed, and coccidiosis prevention in general.

Recently I got some coccidiosis vaccinated baby chicks which I didn’t know were vaccinated. I got one batch on April 4, and the second batch on April 11. On April 18, I started feeding them medicated feed because I had lost two baby chicks out of the April 11 batch, and I suspected coccidiosis. After talking to the feed store later, it seems that the cause was probably something else, because a number of chicks were lost out of the April 11 batch to a number of customers. I also then found out that they are vaccinated for coccidiosis.

Now that I know that I have done something wrong by introducing medicated feed to cocci vaccinated chicks, I am trying to figure out how long it takes for the vaccine to kick in and provide some immunity so I can figure out how much damage I have done by rendering the vaccine useless (in other words, is it possible that they had developed immunity prior to me feeding them the medicated feed in 1/2 weeks? And, if I stop medicated feed after only a week from April 18-25, is it possible that maybe I haven’t given them enough yet to completely render the vaccine useless?).

In short, now I need to decide what to do from here forward. If I take them off medicated feed, and the medicated feed has rendered their vaccine worthless already… Am I leaving them too exposed to cocci? Will this differ largely between the two batches of chickens due to timing? On the flipside, if I haven’t had them on medicated feed long enough to completely negate the vaccine, should I take them off medicated feed to allow the vaccine to work?

Any advice somebody with a lot of experience in this area can give would be super appreciated. Thank you!

I haven't ever vaccinated or given medicated feed to my chicks. I would stop the medicated feed and just let them be. Much better to expose them to a plug of grass with dirt from your yard and treat if there's an issue. FWIW I expose my chicks to dirt from my yard in the form of a dust bath at 2 or 3 days old. I've never had to treat for coccidiosis. Your results may vary.

Thanks for the insight. It is so difficult to know what to do. After speaking with somebody else at the feed store, it turns out that they actually do not vaccinate for coccidiosis. I was strongly advised not to expose the checks to dirt outside until they are a little bit older… Since they are in a pretty sterile environment and don’t really have any immunity. I am concerned that one of the chicks that I lost died because I brought it outside edit may have picked up a parasite, but it’s very hard to know.

Back
Top Bottom