Need some help with this Rooster

OldMcJohnny

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2016
Phoenix area, AZ
I rescued this Rooster from a residential site that my company manages. If he didn't leave they were going to destroy him and I couldn't bear to see him killed. I'm trying to figure out what he is, but he's tricky. At first I thought he was an Old English Game Fowl, but he has a huge comb and waddle. Then I thought he might be a Red JungleFowl, but his comb isn't straight or neat like theirs. I thought he might be a Brown Leghorn, but he doesn't have the white marks on the cheeks and his comb is different. He's currently quarantined from my other birds while I assess his overall health. But I'm also a little leery of introducing him to the coop because I have another rooster, a Barred Rock hybrid, and I want to know what his temperament is like. I tried to get several views of him to help see his features better. Any help would be appreciated.

He is a game or at least a game cross. He has the comb and wattles because he has not been dubbed. He will most likely be aggressive towards your other rooster.

I love the last photo where he is cocking his head. They sure look different without dubbing but, I bet he's glad he didn't have to suffer through that. I don't think I would ever put him with or neat another rooster.

That last photo is one of my favorites. I took a selfie with him last night, it was pretty funny. I'm not going to be dubbing him. We don't have frostbite in Phoenix and I'm not going to cut him up just to show him. He's a lot older than the other roo (the barred rock is about 3 mos and he's at least a year), so he would establish dominance quickly. I just don't want him to kill or injure the other one.

Back
Top Bottom