Need some prayers for my puppy... update post #22 & post #101

Please Please Please do not bring another puppy into your house after you've had the sick one. If your current sick puppy dies you should wait several months and make sure you disinfect EVERYTHING in your house PLUS spray your yard with Kennel disinfectant. If you don't do this your new puppy will be in contact with the virus and you'll just be on another emotional rollercoaster.
sad.png

Quote:
I appreciate your concern! I think she said the puppies aren't even born yet so it would be at least 8 weeks if I did get one from her. I've already disinfected the house and washed everything because of my other animals. I'm still holding out hope that Bolt will pull through.

Quote:
why should breeders let strangers into their facility?..so they can spread disease because they have just come from 5 other places and are price comparing..thats the stupidist thing people can do..turkeys barns,chicken barns hog barns do not let every stranger into the barns for the same reason..my brother-in-law wont even let strangers into his feed lot for the same reason,why should it be any different for dog breeders..

I would never buy a dog or cat from a breeder without seeing what kind of conditions the animal was raised in, meeting the dam and the sire as well (if on the premises). Period. Of course a breeder should have regulations regarding cleanliness to protect their own animals, but there is a difference between purchasing livestock where shoes have been through feces and potentially contaminated soil (then tracked into another animal's living quarters), versus a pre-screened individual driving out specifically to look at a litter of puppies. I certainly agree that it would be unhealthy to let "just anyone" handle an animal, but measures can be taken to protect animal health.

A good breeder of dogs and cats will also not sell to someone who is "price shopping." As everyone knows, "inexpensive" or "free" pets don't stay free very long.
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I appreciate your concern! I think she said the puppies aren't even born yet so it would be at least 8 weeks if I did get one from her. I've already disinfected the house and washed everything because of my other animals. I'm still holding out hope that Bolt will pull through.

Thats good, make sure all floors are washed/disinfected wtih either bleach or an approved cleaner for animal viruses. You should also clean outside...spray your property with a kennel disinfectant. If you don't the virus can and will live in the soil for years.

Quote:
why should breeders let strangers into their facility?..so they can spread disease because they have just come from 5 other places and are price comparing..thats the stupidist thing people can do..turkeys barns,chicken barns hog barns do not let every stranger into the barns for the same reason..my brother-in-law wont even let strangers into his feed lot for the same reason,why should it be any different for dog breeders..

I would never buy a dog or cat from a breeder without seeing what kind of conditions the animal was raised in, meeting the dam and the sire as well (if on the premises). Period. Of course a breeder should have regulations regarding cleanliness to protect their own animals, but there is a difference between purchasing livestock where shoes have been through feces and potentially contaminated soil (then tracked into another animal's living quarters), versus a pre-screened individual driving out specifically to look at a litter of puppies. I certainly agree that it would be unhealthy to let "just anyone" handle an animal, but measures can be taken to protect animal health.

A good breeder of dogs and cats will also not sell to someone who is "price shopping." As everyone knows, "inexpensive" or "free" pets don't stay free very long.
smile.png

if only everyone in the world is as honest as you would like them to be..these people are not going to tell you they ar shopping around,,many even just come around to "pet the puppies" without ever having any intention of buying one..yes,thats what screening is for,,but again,people LIE..some are AR freaks just looking for something to get you on..really,you eat food from the store you have no idea how its been prepared,,if any of you actually saw what goes on behind the scenes at turkey and chicken processing plantsa you would never eat bought chicken again..I believe in Biosecutrity in breeders kennels,why should they risk their stock just becasue john doe thinks he should get to see everything.,if you drive in the yard and it looks like a dump drive out again,,I dont even need to see the animals to determine I dont want anything from there home.

Unless you can disinfect every single place where this puppy walked or defecated, I would not bring another puppy to my home until it is 2 weeks past the 3rd vaccine, and after 12 weeks of age.

Parvo is a VERY long lived virus. Most viruses do not survive long outside a host, because they depend on a fatty coating to survive. Parvo has no such coating, and some feel it can live in the environment for YEARS.

My puppies do not touch grass EVER until after 2 weeks after the 3rd vaccine at 13 weeks. They stay on a solid surface that I can keep disinfected. I don't allow shoes in from outside, there is a hand washing protocol, I do not attend any dog events, and I socialize only in other people's homes who do not have dogs.

Yes, that may sound radical. Not so radical when you have watched precious beloved puppies die from this godawful disease. I take NO CHANCES with this, AT all.

My aunt knows a breeder that not long ago had an outbreak. I'm pretty sure it was Parvo. Almost positive. He didn't vaccinate for it in any of his dogs. Lost a whole litter of pups and many sick sick older dogs.

ETA: She bought a dog from him not long before all this came about. This dog had some of his shots already I believe but they still were very very worried and had to be very careful. I guess guy thought he brought something home from a show? Redyre maybe you can answer this for me. I was discussing with aunt and I thought to show dogs had to have all vaccinations?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom