Need to lighten dark coop but keep out the winter wind. Any ideas?

Pip4Chirp

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 5, 2014
Colorado
My son and I recently converted our old swing set into a chicken coop and run. The fort became the coop and the swinging part was covered in hardwire fabric for the run.

In the coop, there are areas covered by hardware fabric above the pop door (2 1/2' by 2 1/2') and above the side panels (2' x 8'). This was great in the summer and kept the chickens comfortable. But I need to cover the hardware fabric to keep out the winter wind. I'd assumed we'd just screw in wood pieces to fit and then remove them in the spring.

But it's just too dark in the coop if we do that. I'm guessing we need some kind of plastic covering and I thought about plexiglass but the hardware stores around here will only cut wood. Any ideas on other options? How thick does the plastic need to be?

We're in Colorado. Avg winter temps at night are in the teens and 20's but we get a lot of wind.

Thanks for your help!! :)

I bought .093 inch clear acrylic sheet 11" x 14" to use as windows in my coop at home depot. But I believe they come in a smaller size. If you have a drill you can drill a couple of holes and screw over holes and remove in the spring. If you don't have a drill then buy a small tube of a 100% silicone and put 4 dabs on corners of plastic and stick to cleaned surface. In the spring take a Razer blade to remove.
Remember chickens need fresh air in coop even in winter to release ammonia and moisture. Less they die or get frost bite. I have 4 vents in my coop open during the summer and close off 1 at a time up to 3 as it gets colder. During winter I leave 1 open away from the roost and nest boxes. Mine can be opened or closed in seconds, except for the one.
GC

Last edited:
Thank you for the suggestions! I'm going to try the plastic sheeting and leave the one side open. And I'll use some silicone to block up the random cracks and little holes that will let in drafts. Before a really terrible storm, I could roll up a towel in plastic sheeting and fit it into the side I'm leaving open.

Back
Top Bottom