Need your input to help draft new city ordinance for Backyard Chickens!

Many people have 1/2 acre lots or larger. Setback for auxiliary buildings is 6 ft.

6' isn't bad, may want to consider bumping it up more for a coop however because assuming the public has their say during town halls, I could see people protesting that they don't want animals "right outside" their bedrooms. My area has very lax rules and we have a 10' set back from property lines (but you can shove the coop right up against your own house if you want).

As far as number of birds, I think it'll be more acceptable to have something like up to 4 (just pulling out a random number) chickens if your lot size is under half acre, then an additional 4 per additional half acre of lot after that. No roosters under 2 acres (or something like that). That way for folks that have larger lots can have more birds to match the amount of land, but if you have a smaller lot, you can still have them, just not as many.

6' isn't bad, may want to consider bumping it up more for a coop however because assuming the public has their say during town halls, I could see people protesting that they don't want animals "right outside" their bedrooms. My area has very lax rules and we have a 10' set back from property lines (but you can shove the coop right up against your own house if you want).

As far as number of birds, I think it'll be more acceptable to have something like up to 4 (just pulling out a random number) chickens if your lot size is under half acre, then an additional 4 per additional half acre of lot after that. No roosters under 2 acres (or something like that). That way for folks that have larger lots can have more birds to match the amount of land, but if you have a smaller lot, you can still have them, just not as many.
I noticed many cities have a minimum of 100ft from any dwelling, except the property owner with the chickens. I like the idea of allowing more chickens for more acreage.

I noticed many cities have a minimum of 100ft from any dwelling, except the property owner with the chickens. I like the idea of allowing more chickens for more acreage.

I've seen it as bad as 200' setback from any occupied building. You can imagine how problematic that is, because it essentially bans chickens on smaller or even odd shaped lots. Like I'm on 4 acres but it's narrow... I couldn't set back any building 200' and even 100' would be difficult.

Both my county (I'm only bound by county ordinance) and the nearest city do have a "more land, more chickens" type allowance, which seems sensible to me.

"Industry or breed standards for the breed and type of animal may be used to determine whether reasonable care is being provided. Poor condition or health in the absence of veterinary supervision is prima facie evidence of a violation."

Can you elaborate on this? Many hatchery birds (especially from TSC) are nowhere near the breed standard. An example:
1609894945054.png

This silver laced wyandotte has a single comb and extremely poor lacing. This bird is nowhere near breed standard, but from the picture, it looks well cared for and healthy. I think it would be better to use an average healthy bird as an example. (No feather loss, redness of the skin, sores on face or comb, frostbite, anything wrong with the eyes, etc.)

You mention not having veterinary care being a violation. Contrary to cats or dogs, most vets aren't trained to care for chickens, and most chicken care can be done at home. (Check out the 'Emergencies, Diseases, Injuries, and Cures' forum) I don't' think that it should be a violation to not have veterinary care for your chickens.

I also agree about the point with the food and water- my chickens' food and water is in their run, and they are closed off from it at night. They have full access to it during the day, but they're not going to wake up needing a midnight snack, and it's much safer for them to be closed in the coop.

You might consider adding a 'space per chicken' part, to help ensure proper care. The general recommendation is 4+ square feet per bird (excluding nesting boxes) in the coop, and 8+ square feet per bird in the run.

"Industry or breed standards for the breed and type of animal may be used to determine whether reasonable care is being provided. Poor condition or health in the absence of veterinary supervision is prima facie evidence of a violation."

Can you elaborate on this? Many hatchery birds (especially from TSC) are nowhere near the breed standard. An example:
View attachment 2477543
This silver laced wyandotte has a single comb and extremely poor lacing. This bird is nowhere near breed standard, but from the picture, it looks well cared for and healthy. I think it would be better to use an average healthy bird as an example. (No feather loss, redness of the skin, sores on face or comb, frostbite, anything wrong with the eyes, etc.)

You mention not having veterinary care being a violation. Contrary to cats or dogs, most vets aren't trained to care for chickens, and most chicken care can be done at home. (Check out the 'Emergencies, Diseases, Injuries, and Cures' forum) I don't' think that it should be a violation to not have veterinary care for your chickens.

I also agree about the point with the food and water- my chickens' food and water is in their run, and they are closed off from it at night. They have full access to it during the day, but they're not going to wake up needing a midnight snack, and it's much safer for them to be closed in the coop.

You might consider adding a 'space per chicken' part, to help ensure proper care. The general recommendation is 4+ square feet per bird (excluding nesting boxes) in the coop, and 8+ square feet per bird in the run.
Thanks for the comments. I copied some of those points from the ordinance of another city. I listed them to see what people think about. I'll probably pass on the veterinary and food/water language. I should mention about space per chicken though. Good point.

Personally, requiring vet care for a chicken is ridiculous. If they want to provide vet care, fine. But it shouldn't be required.

I do get the health based on breed standard though. You won't believe how many people think my naked necks are being mistreated because they can't grow neck feathers
Oh, that's a good point. Breed standard to SOME extent makes sense.

Kind of amazing that an off grid community has to approach chicken keeping from a legislative angle. But I digress...
Is the scope of this ordinance only limited to chickens? What about other fowl? Thanksgiving turkey? Lump them all together and just say domestic fowl. What are the rules about dogs at large? Chickens do not respect property boundaries so have a plan for that question. Probably the #2 complaint after crowing roosters. What square footage prompts building permit and inspection? Limit the coop size to under that number. That will help keep flock numbers down naturally and reduce government involvement. Offer guidance for the area and climate but no set in stone requirements. Allowing a second grow out flock has some red flags. By 30 weeks, you essentially have 2 mature flocks and lots of cockerels mixed in, probably 100%in reality. Are you going to limit their housing to a temporary structure or allow a second coop? If your train of thought is to allow people to raise meat birds and process them, spell it out.

Kind of amazing that an off grid community has to approach chicken keeping from a legislative angle. But I digress...
Is the scope of this ordinance only limited to chickens? What about other fowl? Thanksgiving turkey? Lump them all together and just say domestic fowl. What are the rules about dogs at large? Chickens do not respect property boundaries so have a plan for that question. Probably the #2 complaint after crowing roosters. What square footage prompts building permit and inspection? Limit the coop size to under that number. That will help keep flock numbers down naturally and reduce government involvement. Offer guidance for the area and climate but no set in stone requirements. Allowing a second grow out flock has some red flags. By 30 weeks, you essentially have 2 mature flocks and lots of cockerels mixed in, probably 100%in reality. Are you going to limit their housing to a temporary structure or allow a second coop? If your train of thought is to allow people to raise meat birds and process them, spell it out.
All good points. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom