Need your maran expert advice NEW PICTURES

Quote:
This is a Quote from Illia explaining the genetics of it. from another topic and here is the link to that topic

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=391363&p=1

Quote:
No. A blue cuckoo will be barred on every feather. He's got some gold showing up in his wing and he doesn't have much barring, if any at all, on his secondaries, chest, fluff, tail, etc. He's a cross of blue (possibly even blue copper, which explains the color in his wing) and cuckoo - Which basically makes a partially barred bird.

Did you hatch these out ? If so what color were the eggs? American birds are just now getting the standard approved and they will need feathered shanks.....since you are working on a project I would only hatch from #5 eggs or better make sure you have slate shanks with some pink showing in the under color then as your birds mature look for white feathers where they don't belong and cull for that heavy. It looks like Silver Birchen is carried in the stock you are working with (Black Coppers are a Gold Birchen) the roosters can be split for both colors if you are wanting those barred blues or just blues you can use the split rooster if his type is better and cull all his offspring with gold. You don't say what you are trying to achieve in your project so first is type and egg color the bird's color is the icing on the cake....

I personally like the look of the rooster that has the barring with the copper... I'm not feeling like that is anything to be/ or that can be developed. So at this point I think I'm going to just try to hit the standard in confirmation and egg color for the hens. I do not know their egg color yet... because they're not laying... but should start laying soon so. We'll see the eggs they hatched from were dark.

Post more pics of the roos and we can critique them on confirmation basically I just want nice looking Marans and work out there faults

Quote:
This is a Quote from Illia explaining the genetics of it. from another topic and here is the link to that topic

Quote:
No. A blue cuckoo will be barred on every feather. He's got some gold showing up in his wing and he doesn't have much barring, if any at all, on his secondaries, chest, fluff, tail, etc. He's a cross of blue (possibly even blue copper, which explains the color in his wing) and cuckoo - Which basically makes a partially barred bird.

Keep reading on that thread and look at what David Hancox is saying. He is an expert. These barred birds you have appear to be a mix of genes that you generally wouldn't want to mix up in the marans if you want birds that will breed to the standard. I would suggest doing some more research and then critique your birds again. I think once you learn a little more about the breed you will see what we are trying to explain.

Chef

Last edited:
Quote:

Quote:

Keep reading on that thread and look at what David Hancox is saying. He is an expert. These barred birds you have appear to be a mix of genes that you generally wouldn't want to mix up in the marans if you want birds that will breed to the standard. I would suggest doing some more research and then critique your birds again. I think once you learn a little more about the breed you will see what we are trying to explain.

Chef

Yea like I said in the post above your last I'm feeling as though he isn't something that can be developed...or even should be developed.

Okay Here Are More Pics..lets Just Say Feel Free To Tell Me Anything...im Just Basically Trying To See If Ive Got Anything To Work With...what Needs To Be Culled From My Flock. Im Aware They'll All Have Faults.

We'll Do My Favorites First
fl.gif
fl.gif

Black Marans Rooster (heavy Shank Feathering)

79188_aaablk.jpg

79188_blk_roo.jpg

Splash Marans Rooster (clean Shank)

79188_img_20110808_153301-1.jpg

79188_img_20110808_134450.jpg

Cuckoo X Blue Copper Marans Rooster (aware Its Not A Standard Color)

79188_copper_cuckooroo.jpg

79188_img_20110808_183514.jpg

79188_blue_copper_roo.jpg

Blue Copper Marans Roo

79188_bluecopper_roo.jpg

79188_bluecopper_roo.jpg

Splash Maran Rooster

79188_img_20110808_134328.jpg

Hens

Blue Cuckoo X
79188_barredbluehen.jpg

Blue Hen

79188_blue_hen.jpg

Black Copper

79188_blkcopperhen.jpg

Blue Hen Back Right

79188_blue_hen3.jpg

79188_blue_hen2.jpg

79188_blue_hens2.jpg

Chevgrl,

Welcome to the wonderful world of breeding. Its a cutthroat world, don't let them tell you otherwise. I know I'll get crucified for saying that, but remember these threads have been shut down in the past for such reasons.

No, I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, just making light that while someone has to be the watcher of the roost, and make sure we actually preserve breeds so that we all know what they are supposed to look like, if too many people become strict adherents to such dogmas we will all fall victim to such.

Someone already mentioned it... What characteristics you desire in your flock are the ones you want to promote. Maybe you just want dark eggs, or just a yard full of beautiful birds to spend the day laughing at their antics. Maybe you really want to get into showing them, or maybe you want meat and eggs with as little work as possible. I am a member on another forum about Survival and Preparedness. There have been discussions there about someone that didn't like what he saw in modern poultry with regards to a true survival chicken. He actually went through the process of selecting breeds that were known for being able to survive mostly on there own, such as game fowl that can fly up into trees to escape predators, hardiness to disease and common parasites, and so forth, all with an toward a breed that would still provide reasonable meat and eggs plus raise and care for their own young.

That isn't likely to be what you are trying to build in your flock, but the point remains. It is your flock. You get to make of it what you will, if you have the patience and audacity to actually do it. Don't be afraid to keep a primary flock and a breeding flock. Your primary flock can provide you with eggs and meat, while leaving the breeding flock to provide young chicks and future breeders. I would recommend, from experience, to work on one breed or color pattern at a time, or at least combinations that work together like Copper Blue, Copper Black, and Splash. Lucian and Selene should provide me a mix of those 3, so I'm not pursuing any other patterns. I do want to increase the gene pool soon, but thats cuz I only have 2. My primary flock will come back with a lot of Vic's bloodline x with those RIR hens. He had the leadership qualities, growth rate, meat qualities, and so on. 41 eggs in the bator and I take the turner out tomorrow.

So again, what are you looking for? Your welcome to change your mind later... I did. I learned from mistakes in raising them. The question is where do you want your flock to be in a year or two? What kind of flock do you want? If you really want show quality, I'd suggest getting at least a pair from a reputable breeder and working from there. That way, you at least know what you are working with. I could take a small flock of Marans hens that lay dark eggs and mate them with any old barnyard roo and sell them for $30/dz. You wouldn't know until they begin to grow. I should be shot for such things, just making a point. I was told that Vic was a Rhode Island Red, and my lack of knowledge suckered me into a great deal despite it. lol

Good points. I totally agree with everything and the truth is that I'm not for sure which way to go with the Marans. I have only done cochins and dark brahmas raising show birds and Marans seem much more confusing. Cochins are obvious to me the more feathers the better plus other points.
I love the looks of the Marans and the egg color. I just want to know what I'm working with maybe I should start small and work my way up. I don't just want to make chickens that aren't quality so of course it makes since to hit the standards for the breed so I'm not hatching out chickens that aren't bettering the breed.
I realize I'm far from bettering the breed but I'm willing to learn and I'm wondering what's good and what's bad in my flock
th.gif
I lear. Best by having someone point out faults and I can physically see them. In a pic or in real life.
hide.gif

Chevgrl, I believe you are serious about trying to learn about the Marans. Best policy is go slow and get all the info on Marans you can get. Wait until you have tried a few before making up your mind on what you will breed for in the future. Be very lery about buying eggs on the internet. Try and get to know someone in your local area.

Just remember we all had to get started with Marans , and knew nothing about breeding them to the SOP. Do not let anyone rain on your parade if Marans are what you want to have. Most buyers of Marans females want them for Dark eggs , and not for breeding to the SOP. Nothing wrong with having Dark eggs for your family.

If you are looking for a critique just ask as someone will help.

Back
Top Bottom