Needing help with mini fridge incubator!!

ducksarecool12

Songster
9 Years
Jul 27, 2010
oklahoma
Well..... I have a hovabator 1588 and it awesome! But I kinda want to build an incubator myself just because... Lol I have an old mini fridge that's been sitting around that I want to use. I have recently removed the inside part of the door so I can remove the foam and creat a window and I unscrewed all the back parts and cords. Now I'm stuck. The freezer part inside has cords attached to it and I'm scared that its gas or something and don't want to release it. Any ideas on how to remove it? I can't remove all the back elements without removing the cords attached to it... I need help!

These pictures were before I loosened everything.

Yeah, they do have a coolant running through them. If you want to remove the gas yourself, (which I don't recommend) wear goggles and and a full coverage garment, and use bolt cutters to clip one of the black coils, and the gas will probably start spewing out. Be as safe as you can with this project. This gas is most likely freon, or maybe ammonia. I would retreat from the fridge as soon as you clip the coil. DO THIS OUTSIDE IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA. I would point you towards having a professional doing this, but I know of no person for this job. You may be able to do some research about having a professional doing this job, I would say the first place I would look to have this done would be a propane dealer, home tank filler.

The stuff inside is freon.it can cause serious injury if the lines are cut and also illegal if the epa finds out.take it to a local a/c company and the would probly remove it for u and recycle it.im hvac certified and when I starred I seen someone lose there eye because they cut the line and the freon came out in liguid form and froze the eye on contact.if I was closer I would remove it for u.

The stuff inside is freon.it can cause serious injury if the lines are cut and also illegal if the epa finds out.take it to a local a/c company and the would probly remove it for u and recycle it.im hvac certified and when I starred I seen someone lose there eye because they cut the line and the freon came out in liguid form and froze the eye on contact.if I was closer I would remove it for u.
Great, just take it to the a/c company! Like I said, I really don't recommend the above method, but I can't say that I haven't used the above method myself. I am glad that I am more aware of the restrictions involved with this sort of project, and that I actually know where to bring my next fridge.

Well it gave me a good idea.I just started making my first incubator out of an old cooler.if I ever make a bigger one I got an old mini fridge I will use cor sure.

I will definitely be calling an a/c place! Thank y'all for the info! The fridge is pretty small and will barely fit the turners in. I can cut the foam out and the turners will fit! :)

Back
Top Bottom