Neem oil for mites

ChickensAreSweet

Heavenly Grains for Hens
9 Years
Jun 8, 2010
Pacific NW- where the Douglas Firs grow
Last edited:
I have a silver wyandotte that has a nasty attack of louse and I regularly give her a bath in water with a lot of neem soap dissolved in it, that seems to kill em dead judging by the state of the water after. working on the theory that if the adults are regularly flushed away, the infestation will gradually reduce. She is almost constantly broody, so easy to catch for her bath.

normally neem is not used to KILL bugs, im sure it could especially in a bath, but neem actually stops the bugs from reproducing and/or aborting or making the eggs infertile. we have neem trees here and a very large book on neem. it is a very effective natural birth control and therefor makes the bugs sterile i guess. you are not supposed to use or spray neem if pregnant or trying to get pregnatnt - just as a precaution. this is of course if you are using the cold pressed oil.. it has so many uses.. and is becoming more popular and well know just how amazing this tree is. toothpaste, we have some neem bug spray made locally on da island, insect/ pest control and more im sure of but cant think of now...
lol.png
im gonna check out the links....

i use neem oil on my guinea pigs..keeps them lovely and mite/lice free..never thought to try it on chickens though...

i did originally buy it for my kids when they started school incase they got head lice..but *touch wood* ive not had to use it on them yet!

Last edited:
I am not sure how it would work on chickens though Guinea pigs have nice soft fur that would be easy to put on them but feathers might be another problem. and getting it into all the places because of all those feathers, what would be the best way to put it on could it be put into a spray bottle or is it too thick? And I know what you mean about the chemical dust I hate it. Spish, when my kids were in grade school the whole school got head lice, what a night mare, good thing you have the neem oil just in case. The only kids that didn't get head lice were the blk kids because they use oil in their hair, interesting huh

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom