Neem oil for mites

Grateful for the thread and the links. Did you find that the neem worked? I really do not want to use Sevin. Everyone talks about it being safe, but many years ago dear hubby and I took hort courses, and we learned then that while Sevin is considered safe, it is one of the pesticides that is most easily absorbed through the skin. Also learned years ago from a vet that oil of just about any kind will kill fleas. It smothers them. A good bath with a bit of oil is great flea control. Frankly, I can't imagine bathing a chicken. :)
I am starting this thread for neem oil.

Has anyone tried it? If you do try it, feel free to post your experience here.

Fortunately my chickens are mite-free right now. But I am really considering buying this neem oil.

Here
http://www.amazon.com/Dyna-DYNEM032...A08C/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1294261673&sr=8-6

The thread this came from (see post #16):
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=436251&p=2

Grateful for the thread and the links. Did you find that the neem worked? I really do not want to use Sevin. Everyone talks about it being safe, but many years ago dear hubby and I took hort courses, and we learned then that while Sevin is considered safe, it is one of the pesticides that is most easily absorbed through the skin. Also learned years ago from a vet that oil of just about any kind will kill fleas. It smothers them. A good bath with a bit of oil is great flea control. Frankly, I can't imagine bathing a chicken. :)

actually most chickens don't mind a bath. I've given some of mine soaks before. I use Epernix pour on and theres no egg withdrawl with it. You use it like frontline for dogs.

I have used neem oil on plants to get rid of bugs, but I noticed that my chickens seem to be scratching a lot, and the feathers around their vent look a little like q-tips, so I am assuming it is mites or lice...So I sprayed the coop with neem oil earlier today...my whole yard now smells very very like whatever neem smells like...something like a cross between an orange and a pine tree...Either way I didn't spray my chickens directly, but I did spray the nest boxes and then watch a hen go in and have a nice seat, so she surely got a little on her...I just know that neem oil sticks to everything, so it seemed like putting it on a creature that uses it's mouth to clean itself would be cruel and unusual...I'm going to get some poultry dust when next we have some money...but until then it will be neem oil and ashes.

I have used neem oil on plants to get rid of bugs, but I noticed that my chickens seem to be scratching a lot, and the feathers around their vent look a little like q-tips, so I am assuming it is mites or lice...So I sprayed the coop with neem oil earlier today...my whole yard now smells very very like whatever neem smells like...something like a cross between an orange and a pine tree...Either way I didn't spray my chickens directly, but I did spray the nest boxes and then watch a hen go in and have a nice seat, so she surely got a little on her...I just know that neem oil sticks to everything, so it seemed like putting it on a creature that uses it's mouth to clean itself would be cruel and unusual...I'm going to get some poultry dust when next we have some money...but until then it will be neem oil and ashes.
I've used neem oil on my chickens 2 Tab. to 1 gal. of water. http://www.discoverneem.com/about-discover-neem.html

I wouldn't think that neem oil would cause too much harm to anything except bugs...and it isn't even very good at controlling bugs, but it does seem to deter them....

In plant communities it is a great snake oil, but I haven't seen it work very well on too much of anything...If you have a plant that gets a bad case of fungus gnats you can spray it with neem and it gets rid of them because the gnats get stuck to the plants...lol. But it doesn't kill them by any poisonous means...I've also used neem in hydroponic applications to kill gnat larvae, but it seems to work the same there too...it doesn't poison the bugs so much as render them immobile until they die.

I wouldn't think that neem oil would cause too much harm to anything except bugs...and it isn't even very good at controlling bugs, but it does seem to deter them....

In plant communities it is a great snake oil, but I haven't seen it work very well on too much of anything...If you have a plant that gets a bad case of fungus gnats you can spray it with neem and it gets rid of them because the gnats get stuck to the plants...lol. But it doesn't kill them by any poisonous means...I've also used neem in hydroponic applications to kill gnat larvae, but it seems to work the same there too...it doesn't poison the bugs so much as render them immobile until they die.
Thats the purpose of spraying your roosts with it, the mites crawl out of the woodwork literally and crawl on the roosts to get to your chickens. keeping them off the roosts by spraying will keep them off the chickens. Also using Nu stock on legs and around vent area will kill and keep mites off your flock. Both natural products.

Since built I've sprayed my coop with neem oil. So far no evidence of mites. What do you do with ashes? Could you explain?

Since built I've sprayed my coop with neem oil. So far no evidence of mites. What do you do with ashes? Could you explain?
Use wood ashes to dust your birds also in nest boxes. I put ashes in a rubber tub along with sand [play] to give them something to dust bath in during the winter when the ground is frozen or snowy they also eat them along with the sand.

Back
Top Bottom