Negative temps in uninsulated chicken coop

chickenchicklady

Songster
5 Years
Apr 23, 2019
Hello friends! We have negative temperatures coming, and a couple days next week are going to be -15 with single digits of the high reaching up to 6°. We have recently built a new coop however, it is not insulated yet. Do I need to put a heat lamp or a small heater in there during those nights? The coop is secure with no Holes for wind drafts to come through and we have about 20 birds. I don’t want my little chicken friends to get too cold.

Not sure the exact size of the coop, but I allowed at least 4 square/ft per bird. And we have air vents at the top of the coop that we can close off. Should I leave them open during the cold spells?

Not sure the exact size of the coop, but I allowed at least 4 square/ft per bird. And we have air vents at the top of the coop that we can close off. Should I leave them open during the cold spells?
Ventilation at the top of the coop, over the birds' heads while they're on their roosts, is critical to carry moisture and ammonia up and out.

Yes, it's important to keep them open. Otherwise moisture will build up and cause ice and wet chickens can't keep themselves warm. I know, it sounds counter intuitive but trust us on this one. 😉

Back
Top Bottom