Neighbor hates my chickens- will she do them harm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy Thanksgiving...almost! DH and I are staying home. It’s weird, I never liked traveling anywhere, eating a bunch of food and then trying not to fall asleep at the wheel on the way home. So this year, when no one invited us, we were just as happy to stay here! I have my mom’s entire family over for Christmas every year, close to 40 people. Maybe somebody else would be peeved that not one of them thought of us this year, but not me. My dad always said that some people are doers and some are takers and there is nothing wrong with being the doer. Be proud of it. So I’ll cook my little turkey here and then make buckets of turkey soup with the leftovers and be happy to have my DH and my babies around me. And at Christmas I’ll work like a slave for three days cooking a giant ham and all the fixings and I’ll be proud of it!

The chicken enclosure is almost finished! Just in time as today it was cold! The rats did try to come it, but so far no chicken feed is missing and the one rat I saw Mimi scared the life out of him and he’s gone! We’ll put plywood around the structure as needed as it gets colder. Probably just on the north side until we get some snow. I don’t know if Crazy Lady is peeved! Oh boy though… we have ANOTHER rooster. That makes four. Turns out that BOTH of the Blue Americauna chickens are roosters. At 6 months the second one started crowing. How does that happen? He is so much smaller. I wondered why he wasn’t hanging with Ted Baxter. So instead of Mary and Rhoda I have Ted Baxter and Gordy the Weatherman. DH is ridiculous sometimes!

I think I’m in a new stage of grief. I just keep thinking that I’m going to die young. I know it’s silly and there’s no reason for it. But because of that nagging feeling, I have been trying lots of different things with my dog Mimi. It’s like I just want to do everything before I can’t do anything anymore. We have shown in multiple local conformation (breed) shows, an obedience trial and even went to a fun field trial…all in 4 months! And she is only 20 months old! All this with no significant instruction...just watched some YouTube videos, trained at home and went out and did it. My dad always told me that you never know what you can do unless you try. And Mimi will try anything. Who am I to hold her back?

Mimi did very well at the local breed shows. So I wanted to try something harder. But I don’t like crowds and I have a terrible sense of direction. I’m one of those people who can’t find their car in the parking lot. So attending a HUGE AKC breed show all alone was frightening to me. Plus I was told that the people at the breed shows are very snotty and don’t welcome outsiders. But I decided that I needed to grow and do something out of my comfort zone. So I went to an AKC show with 1500 other dogs in GIANT building with over 20 rings! I set attainable goals: manage to find the ring on-time and participate. Mimi does not look like a typical show dog…she’s a field hunting dog. Her coat is flat and water repellent. She has big paws with thick pads and a strong hind end for swimming. She’s a working dog. She stood out and so did I! The dog show was a sea of men in suits, women in skirts and dogs that had been fluffed and trimmed and moussed to within an inch of their life. I gave Mimi a bath and trimmed up the hair on her ears that made her look like “Beaker” from the Muppets and I figured we were good to go. I wore nice black pants and a conservative shirt. It was the best dressed I had been in years! I am for sure an “Amateur” and being the friendly, energetic person I talked to anyone who would listen. I got a small lecture from a grey haired woman who told me that “pants made her feel like a slob”. I told her it must be a “generational” thing. She didn’t have much to say to me about that.

Something I’ve learned about dog shows is that very rarely do competitors talk about how many people were in the class they showed in after the class is over. So in my class with Mimi it was just the two of us! So we got first place!! And it really was first place. If your dog stinks then the judge doesn’t have to give you a ribbon at all. As my other dog friends say…the rest of your competition was home on the couch. I got that first place ribbon because I was the only one with the courage to be here.

But I have to say that the show I just attended was not nearly as hard as the obedience trial. People train for those competitions for years. I gave myself two weeks. And I almost pulled off a qualifying score were it not for the rats! Mimi is an excellent hunter. She hunts the rats and mice on the farm almost continuously when she is outside. It is her obsession and a good one to have in a farm dog! I signed up for “Novice A” level. Turns out the competition was in the “rat room”- the room in the building that they use for “barn hunting” where they put actual live rats in PVC tubes around bales of hay and the dogs have to find them. So as soon as I took off Mimi’s leash for the off-leash heeling exercise she put her nose to the ground and she tried to find the rats. I just had to laugh. Amidst all the competitors who were mad at the judge or at their dog because they didn’t get a qualifying score…I was happy just to participate. My dog did what she was trained to do…find the rats!

The fun field trial was very hard. I trained for-you guessed it-two weeks! I had a frozen duck that someone gave me and I did my best to teach Mimi to run and find it…and then pick it up? Well, she didn’t really want to. But I decided to go to the competition anyway. Why not? On land she raced full speed away after the flying dead duck….found it quickly, sniffed it and then she ran all the way back to me, duckless. So I ran back and picked up the duck and said, “Come on Mimi, you can do it!” Nope, she was not touching that duck! So I ended up carrying it back with Mimi dancing alongside me, happy as a clam that she had found it for me. And the judge said, “You realize the point of this is to get the dog to retrieve, right?” :)

Almost done!

Enjoy your Thanksgiving!
smile.png

You are a very brave lady! Mimi is a beauty and a very happy girl.
I'm a little jealous of your enclosure
1f629.png
1f604.png
But happy for you,
1f60a.png

Literally just read most of this thread... Wonder why Crazy Lady doesn't take out the trash herself, and I feel sorry for her brother, but I think she should be the one with the mentally impaired card more than him. He may have the brain capacity of a 6 year old, but she has the capacity to have no feelings, or be smart enough not to move next to a large area with a neighborhood that has chickens. Consider your choices, and think. That is the best advice I can give that woman. So sorry for what you have to deal with. We farm rice, and our closest neighbors live half a mile away, and they and their kids occasionally come over and pet the chickens, sheep, rabbits, everything. They made a great decision, and they love our animals as much as we do. Those people moved to where they belonged. They get eggs anytime they want any, because we have so many. We just give them away to neighbors. Well... Sorry to say this, but once she passes away, I wouldn't be going to her funeral. I would be relieved. Not glad, but relieved.

This winter has been so mild with just two snowstorms. The last one dumped 11 inches. Crazy was that the day before the snowstorm it was 55 degrees! We have been so lucky!! The chickens have been able to free range all winter without too many days of being closed up and so far, no rats!

But now that I have 4 roosters I'm starting to have fighting issues. You would think with a 320 square foot coop and a 320 square foot covered run that everyone could get along. But no-Ted Baxter appears to be a hormonally charged whacko! He likes to dance. I didn’t know roosters danced! But he does this ridiculous side to side cha-cha in front of the hens and coos at them which I guess is the equivalent of making chicken kissing sounds. You would think that with 30 hens, 4 roosters would all have something to do. Well, not Ted Baxter. He also likes to look for trouble.

A couple of weeks ago Spock appeared to have been in a fight. He was missing some feathers behind his head and his comb had the telltale black marks of a brawl. But nobody seemed too distressed so I just kept my eye on things. Then the day before yesterday Ted Baxter chased Warren Harding and the fight was on. Enter Mimi, almost 2 years old, but still a puppy. She is very good now and doesn’t chase the chickens unless one of them gets too excited and starts flying and flapping. If Mimi chases a chicken she has to “lie down” and just “stay”, no moving until I finish the chores. That means no trolling for chicken poop, one of her favorite activities. She is smart and quick to lie down on her own when she makes a mistake, in the hope that I will let her up soon. I trained Mimi NOT to be excited around the chickens, but she’s a baby dog with a pretty hefty prey drive. So she’s not perfect yet like Lyla and Penny.

Two nights ago Ted Baxter and Warren Harding really started going at it. There are not too many things more exciting than a rooster fight! Mimi jumped in the middle and chased Ted Baxter out of the coop and around the chicken yard! This of course distressed everyone and the coop was ablaze with flapping wings and dust. By the time the dust settled Mimi was lying down, Warren Harding was hiding in the corner and Ted Baxter had gotten some pretty good negative reinforcement for getting into a fight! But it didn’t make a difference. The next morning he beat the crap out of Warren Harding’s head. His poor little brain comb was black. I thought maybe now they worked it out. Nope, two minutes later as I stood throwing scratch around, Ted Baxter went after Warren again. Then here comes Mimi and out the door goes Ted Baxter with the puppy hot on his tail feathers! Enough of this! So I dragged a dog crate over from the garage and Ted Baxter spent the next 24 hours locked up until I could figure out why this was happening and what I was going to do.

I felt I had three choices: castration, rehoming or some attempt at behavior modification. I did some reading on castration and after a short while realized no way. If it would solve the problem and was relatively safe I might have considered it, but it seemed like with a big adult rooster it was risky and didn’t always help. Rehoming meant someone would probably kill and eat him, at least where I live. Not too many towns around here allow roosters. I don’t take offense to people who raise their chickens for food. This is America, live and let live. But I had raised this little guy and I wasn’t ready to give up on him just yet. He is actually quite sweet with people. So behavior modification it was going to be.

I think part of the issue is that they are all awake together from 5 -7:30 AM shut in the coop after the light on the timer comes on. It must be getting a little too close for 4 roosters. Happily, not one hen has any damage from fighting this year. The outside covered run seems to be making a difference, at least during the day. So now Ted Baxter is going to stay locked up in the crate at night. That way in the morning he will not be in a position to start a fight with anyone. And sad as it is with no water and no food for 12 hours hopefully by the time I let him out, he will be good and hungry and in a hurry to take care of that!

This morning I put tons of food all over the place including inside the coop-normally, no food would go in the coop except what’s in the rat proof feeders. And with no rats this year, the feeders have done their job, so it made me a little nervous throwing food into every corner. But roosters also seem to want to have a little piece of land they can call their own, so they can woo their girls. Now with food everywhere they could all go as far away from each other as possible and do their thing. Satisfied with the buffet I had served, I let Ted Baxter out of the crate. He was quite hungry, but two minutes later he came running from outside back into the coop hot on the trail of Warren Harding. Then the little streak of gold Mimi came out of nowhere and chased Ted Baxter right back out of the coop! She didn’t continue running after him. She stopped at the door and looked at me.

“I can do that right? He’s bad! No being excited around the chickens!”

Since Mimi was quite in control of herself I just told her, “Be easy.” That means don’t cross the line and get too excited! It’s a command that applies in many situations and she knows just what it means. So she trotted outside and I watched her herd Ted Baxter very deliberately out of the flock. Not chasing, just moving him. Exactly what I did to the roosters when they were babies. Just to remind them that when people walk the roosters need to move. And then she did the same thing to Spock. She had her head low and was moving quiet so as not to disturb all the hens. She recognized that the roosters were the issue! Be easy. I get you Mimi- if you’re not allowed to get too excited then neither can the roosters!

So with fingers crossed I left them to their rooster lives and sat down to write this story. I just heard Spock crowing…then Warren and then Ted Baxter. Each crow overlapped the last, but it was not excessive, just a few crows each. And a couple seconds later the weird, loud croaking noise that is Gordy the Weatherman filled the air. In a few minutes Mimi and I will go out to check on my flock again….hopefully all is still peaceful!

Mimi says, "I'm watching you, Ted Baxter!"

I am so glad we did not wind up with roosters. I can't have them and I can't imagine dispatching them. Your story has made me appreciate my luck even more.

Spock died today. There was no funny business, he just died. I remember thinking these past couple of weeks that I hadn’t heard him crowing. But I thought it was because he was just a couple weeks shy of his third birthday and he just didn’t feel like it anymore. Then yesterday I heard him, stronger and louder than the rest of the roosters, above all other noises I heard Spock. This morning I gave him a handful of grapes as I always do. And he called his girls over and they gathered around him clucking and happy as could be. When I went to feed this afternoon he lay still the yard, not a feather out of place, not a scratch on him. There was just darkness about his head and comb like perhaps his little heart had finally quit. I will miss my Spock.

Spock lived his whole life live free and loud. He wore no collar and was never shut away in the coop. I chose not to compromise. I chose not to let Crazy Lady win. Spock lived as a rooster might dream to live-with more hens than he could breed and more food than he could ever hope to eat.

“Please take care of my Spock, Dad.”

I don’t think that anyone will mind the crowing in heaven, but I will sure miss it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom