Neighbor mad about rooster...suggestions?

Pics
I can’t get over the logic of city dwellers who move to rural areas because they want to live in the country but then immediately take issue with the country.

Either the wildlife has to go because just knowing there’s a cat or bear in the woods is just too traumatic, or the neighbors have to get rid of their animals to accommodate them, or they seem to expierience the country on a whole other level as compared to the locals.

For example: wildlife has been disappearing in my area for awhile, too many people moving out probably, but the point is I haven’t seen much of anything in ages.
However according to one of my newer neighbors, he had a bear, a bobcat, a mountain lion, several raccoons, and a coyote try to break into his house and that’s why he’s prepared to shoot anything that wanders into his yard and ask questions later. He told us this a month after he moved in....
I hadn't seen squat in over a year but his place is crawling with critters seems...

My next newest neighbor claims a mountain lion snatched her cat off her porch right in front of her.
If she’d left it as that I would have believed her, but there’s more.
According to her it then proceeded to devour the cat in front of her and when it was finished it came back for her other cat, which it snatched off her porch and also ate in front of her. This story left me with a lot of questions.

Then there’s my other new neighbor, she took issue with our newest neighbor’s cow.
Her pit bulls attacked their cow, the neighbor’s kids chased the dogs away before they did any real damage but when they asked her to keep her dogs in her yard she complained that they shouldn’t have a cow in the first place here, “this is agricultural zoning” and then she started complaining that she can hear my geese, which have been here for years, and that they shouldn’t be here either.
I couldn't agree more. And I hate it when I sound like my grandparents but the old timers were right. All these city slickers come out to our peaceful rural communities where everyone lives neighborly. Then they decide that they don't like it so much. Instead of trying to suit an existing community around their liking, why don't they just go back to wherever they came from. In case it has escaped the attention of the entire nation, every new law passed is a freedom lost. If they don't like animals then they shouldn't move to an agricultural zone. Stay in your kushy little world where livestock is illegal and you'd die without the supermarket. Have fun there and leave the people who know how to survive alone✊.

Hi all

I am at a bit of a loss on what to do at this point. Our latest neighbors moved in about 4 years ago and they are NOT friendly 🤦
Our community is zoned agricultural and we can do whatever we want out here. Some neighbors have anything from diesel mechanic factories on their property to owning actual lions and kangaroos etc. Property varies but lots are at least an acre and a quarter(what we have) up to 100s of acres. The name farms is even in the community name.

Most recent neighbors have never been friendly. We try to be considerate neighbors. Heard the man cursing out our dog because he was barking (during the day outside)so I bought him a shock collar for barking and call him in if he barks or if I ever see them outside.

Fast forward to the pandemic. I finally convinced my husband to let me and the kids live our dream and get chickens. We put the coop up way back on our property (our lot is long and narrow) the furthest point from any neighbors as our back yard neighbors have the most property. We of course hatched some roosters and we rehomed all of them...5 to be exact. I let the kids hatch a few more eggs to help with the grief of rehoming all these babies and of course we got two more roos. These roos were so awesome though and we loved them.

My side neighbor of course started to complain...you know the neighborly way. Mumbling curse words at me when I would come in my gate. (this guy has never been friendly once) and then having his wife text me. So we rehomed the dominate rooster that did crow fairly loud. However, that left us with the one we really want to keep. He is so small and gorgeous. A frizzle blue bantam polish. His crow is so weak the girls won't even play with him 😂. He only crows during the day.

I came home to a letter in my mailbox today that says YOUR ROOSTER CROWS FROM 6AM TO6PM EVERY DAY. THIS IS GETTING RIDICULOUS. Then it was signed by him.

I don't want anyone to be miserable in their own house and I believe he works second shift and sleeps during the day. That being said we will most likely never again find a rooster that is so quiet (he does not crow non stop and I can't even hear him in my house which is frame while theirs is CBS). I also think that if we get rid of the rooster it is not going to change our relationship with them at all and he will just find something else to complain about. If their any neighborly dialogue I might think differently.

Again we try to be good neighbors. We cut down a big oak tree near their property line so they could grow a tree they planted as we saw the shade from our oak would kill it. We keep our yard tended always and I do the best I can with the noise. The chickens are in Omlet coops with autodoors so they are locked up sunset to a few hours past sunrise now that it is cooler. Work days they are in the run and on weekends we let them out to free range.

I am just wondering what you would do. Should I rehome him? So far I have just ignored the letter. Feeling really sad today.
At least it was signed! My neighbors send me anonymous letters citing city zoning codes about my flood lights. 😂

I couldn't agree more. And I hate it when I sound like my grandparents but the old timers were right. All these city slickers come out to our peaceful rural communities where everyone lives neighborly. Then they decide that they don't like it so much. Instead of trying to suit an existing community around their liking, why don't they just go back to wherever they came from. In case it has escaped the attention of the entire nation, every new law passed is a freedom lost. If they don't like animals then they shouldn't move to an agricultural zone. Stay in your kushy little world where livestock is illegal and you'd die without the supermarket. Have fun there and leave the people who know how to survive alone✊.
Agreed with all of this. As a person living in a city, I actually want to pick up and move away to a rural place where people know the value of hard work by the sweat of their brow, loan tools and cups of sugar, eggs and such, and where I’m allowed to have 100s of chickens just so that I can barter and give to those who really need it. Rural life is romanticized by a lot of city dwellers. Personally, I would-not-mind to live in a place where you have to drive 45 minutes into town. Do these “city slickers” miss their Starbucks coffee? Better yet, do they shoot these animals with a gun in one hand and latte in another? Lol

I think they are bitter, sour people that no matter what. Will find something to complain about. Unless their house is so old. That it has single pane windows and no insulation. They should barely be able to hear your rooster. If even at all. I have and sometimes still do work off hours shifts. Sleeping with the noise of the world being awake is part of it. He needs to get over it or find a job working first shift. There is not and sounds like there will never be a friendly relationship with them. You really have nothing to lose. Let them grumble and complain. It is your property. You are within the law and your rights. Keep your rooster. Give them the one finger salute and tell them they know where they can stick it.

Obviously neighbor dude is just an unhappy person and nothing you can do will fix that. Its not your fault or your dogs or your chickens fault. I would not waste my eggs personally, seems gratitude is not his strong point.

As neighbors we all try to get along, so seems he/they should do some trying also. Standing your ground or living within your rights does not make you a bad or inconsiderate person.

This whole city/country thing is an ignorant blanket statement. A-holes live everywhere. It is unfortunate when we run into people who lack character but what we do with it defines ours.

OP, I hope your neighbor finds peace and leaves you to yours ♡♡♡ be well.

Merry Christmas eve! Thank you all for your kind comments. No change either way with the neighbor. He has not left any more notes and I honestly have not seen him at all the past month. We did have a nerve-wracking hour when one of our young hens found a space under the fence and went into their yard (they were not home). Fortunately lots of calling and some fruit and she came back under! We have made sure that there is no way that we can find for them to go under that fence.

We have tried to look into where we could move the coop but honestly it is about in the best spot possible. We have no set back laws and I do not think moving them 50 more feet to the other side of the back yard where we have room is really going to make a difference...plus we would have to run water.

I know there is a conversation coming at some point when we are both outside...and I am ready for it. I just pray it is civil. We want to be good neighbors but we are not going to be bullied. If he can be rational we will work harder on a solution. It really freaked me out when the hen went in his yard and I would consider rehoming the rooster if I could guarantee the safety of my flock if for some reason something like that repeats. I was terrified he would show up before we could coax her back!

Back
Top Bottom