Neighborhood dogs keep killing chickens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering if anyone has tried to communicate to the neighbors first.  "If your dog is on my property again, harassing my flock, I will have to shoot him"?  We have a whole pack of loose dogs around our home (neighborhood in rural town).  And if they were caught even sniffing around our coop, my husband would be knocking on doors to warn people.  We have 2 BEAUTIFUL labs that we don't leash (don't have to).  And I would hate it if we just took matters into our own hands and shot one of the neighbors dogs due to damaging our flock to only have the owners try to shoot one of our harmless family dogs.  But if warned first I think it might deter any bad relations?  Opinions?

Possibly, that is providing you have decent neighbors with an IQ somewhere in the normal human range. The people around here with problem animals are more likely to tell you to get bent than to actually care that their animals are causing problems. These people believe that because they live outside a city limits their dogs are entitled to free run of the land, I have a friend who will say as much he has 2 labs and a retriever and he does not feel he has any responsibility to keep them on his property, he got very mad at a neighbor who said something about the dogs coming over and he didn't even have livestock he just didn't want them there, I told him around here those dogs would likely get shot because people won't tolerate that with their chickens or dogs chasing cattle and horses, he feels that is the most offensive thing he's ever heard, how dare you shoot his dog those dogs are more important than any of your livestock. Honestly I believe these sort of responses are more likely than a reasonable response because reasonable people generally wouldn't allow their pet to roam in the first place.

As far as them getting mad and trying to kill your dogs, they would get in a lot of trouble doing that if your dogs stay on your property as you say and they aren't attacking their livestock or children.

If I knew who's dogs they were, I'd be willing to warn a first time offender. But the OP said in the very first thread that they didn't know who the owners were. Add to that, that the dogs keep coming back, and they would disappear around here.

I guess I forgot that was said initially. Irritating for sure. And unfortunate that people aren't taking better care of their dogs! Ours are kenneled at night, go to work with my husband most days, and when home, they guard the house or go across the street and find deer bones in the woods. Always come running home when we whistle, never out of sight. I would be embarrassed if my dogs ever caused such a problem with a neighbor! Sad that people don't take responsibility of their pets.

Honestly, if my dog were to go to my neighbor's and kill their chickens or chase their livestock and the neighbor shot him, I'd be furious - with myself for letting him do that. That's the way it is around here, though. Truly rural (all farmers, no housing developments "in the country"), where people do raise livestock and would pretty much expect you to put down their livestock-killing dog. As I said before - if we knew the dog, of course there would be notice given after the first offense. Maybe even the second, depending on the circumstances. Beyond that, no.

Another party related to dog owner had a gun trained on me through front window while her spouse talked to me even though my unarmed firearm was not held in a minacing manner and I was cool headed. At that point in time I was not aware of the gun trained on me. Think of possibilities if I were hot headed. I was already a a one man lench mob even though acting within the law.
This whole account sounds a little far-fetched to me but... If in fact you approached the home of an offending dog owner with a firearm in your hands, indicates very bad judgement right from git-go. Someone approaching my home with a problem, carrying a gun, is going to be considered "minacing" (menacing) to me. Does this mean you weren't foaming at the mouth? You are lucky you weren't shot in my opinion!
I guess the dog owner was supposed to know that your firearm was "unarmed" (not loaded)? And, if your reference as to your being "a a one man "linch" mob" (lynch mob) indicates your frame of mind as you approached their house, you are infinitely more lucky you never got plugged!

You refer to a couple of posters here for taking a gung-ho attitude toward protecting their stock, yet you approach someone's home with a firearm in your hands to discuss "Another party related to dog owner"?

We have 2 BEAUTIFUL labs that we don't leash (don't have to).

Although there might not be a leash law that specifically applies, I would bet there is applicable laws that apply to a dog running at large off your property and/or dogs damaging property or killing other people's livestock... So although you might not be obligated to leash your dog chances you are obligated to keep it confined on your property somehow or under your control and supervision when it's off your property...

This whole account sounds a little far-fetched to me but... If in fact you approached the home of an offending dog owner with a firearm in your hands, indicates very bad judgement right from git-go. Someone approaching my home with a problem, carrying a gun, is going to be considered "minacing" (menacing) to me. Does this mean you weren't foaming at the mouth? You are lucky you weren't shot in my opinion!
I guess the dog owner was supposed to know that your firearm was "unarmed" (not loaded)? And, if your reference as to your being "a a one man "linch" mob" (lynch mob) indicates your frame of mind as you approached their house, you are infinitely more lucky you never got plugged!

You refer to a couple of posters here for taking a gung-ho attitude toward protecting their stock, yet you approach someone's home with a firearm in your hands to discuss "Another party related to dog owner"?

Exactly the response I am looking for. I went down road suggested by some parties that I think have not tried it themselves. Experience was related to interested parties. I appeared to be a threat (my size and being male alone can do that if I do not smile enough) although the level headed appearance was maintained. Their is a great deal of non-verbal language in simply how a weapon is carried. I did not know the owner of the dog, Party with firearm trained on me from window proved to be niece of dog owner that also lived nearby. The dog crossed multiple property lines.

As you can see accounts can get interesting and potentially dicey when in pursuit of dog off property. Too much drama operating within limits of current MO law Chickencanoe stresses really sets stage for potential problems I alluded to in first or second post based on experience. I do not not sit on a computer and brag how tough my approach may be, I actually get out their and engage neighbors usually in a productive manner. Even so the the firearm makes this dicey. I do not like parties coming on my property to hunt (usually with fireams) without permission first.

Staying on my property would have allowed this to be addressed without risk to me. Within a couple weeks another neighbor was able to dispatch same dog on his property. I am credited for that by dog owner in part because I was out and about going after that dog. I detailed account here a few years back and will look for link.

See post #47 in thread linked below.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/426408/planned-poultry-guarding-dog/40

Last edited:
Although there might not be a leash law that specifically applies, I would bet there is applicable laws that apply to a dog running at large off your property and/or dogs damaging property or killing other people's livestock... So although you might not be obligated to leash your dog chances you are obligated to keep it confined on your property somehow or under your control and supervision when it's off your property...

If you read my last post you will see more about our dogs and not being leashed. I am more referring to how obedient they are, and the fact that we don't allow them to be on other people's property. But I totally agree with your post.

Possibly, that is providing you have decent neighbors with an IQ somewhere in the normal human range. The people around here with problem animals are more likely to tell you to get bent than to actually care that their animals are causing problems. These people believe that because they live outside a city limits their dogs are entitled to free run of the land, I have a friend who will say as much he has 2 labs and a retriever and he does not feel he has any responsibility to keep them on his property, he got very mad at a neighbor who said something about the dogs coming over and he didn't even have livestock he just didn't want them there, I told him around here those dogs would likely get shot because people won't tolerate that with their chickens or dogs chasing cattle and horses, he feels that is the most offensive thing he's ever heard, how dare you shoot his dog those dogs are more important than any of your livestock. Honestly I believe these sort of responses are more likely than a reasonable response because reasonable people generally wouldn't allow their pet to roam in the first place.

As far as them getting mad and trying to kill your dogs, they would get in a lot of trouble doing that if your dogs stay on your property as you say and they aren't attacking their livestock or children.
That is a lucid, well thought out and intelligent response!

Some people here insist the dogs are innocent saying "it's not the dog's fault, it's the owner's fault". It's true that IT IS the owner's fault But, making that claim does NOTHING to stop the carnage. Killing is imprinted in the DNA of dogs. Man has been able to breed this aggressive trait from some breeds. However, together with the natural killer instinct and, a domestic dog's being UN-afraid of people makes him a dangerous predator to our stock.

Most people who own livestock love dogs. The difference, I believe, is this tendency, by some folks, to equate the killer roaming my neighborhood with little Poofy-Moo laying on your lap. This killer has no right to be considered any better than a coyote, coon or possum. if you believe he does, why? Your killer is not afraid of me. He's learned to circumvent fences, gates and even walls. Technically, it may not be the dog's fault but, the dog must pay the price for his actions.

Do y'all have any idea how many folks here have been cursed lower than a well-digger;s butt for peacefully approaching a dog's owner? I have totally given-up on appealing to dog owners anymore. Three times I've approached an owner, the dog turns up missing, and I'm suspect number one. One of the times they found their killer in the road killed by a vehicle and still thought it was me! So now, I don't bring the subject up and therefore don't become a suspect when the dog disappears. The killer stays on my place. Permanently.

That is a lucid, well thought out and intelligent response!  

Some people here insist the dogs are innocent saying "it's not the dog's fault, it's the owner's fault".  It's true that IT IS the owner's fault  But, making that claim does NOTHING to stop the carnage.  Killing is imprinted in the DNA of dogs.  Man has been able to breed this aggressive trait from some breeds.  However, together with the natural killer instinct and, a domestic dog's being UN-afraid of people makes him a dangerous predator to our stock. 

Most people who own livestock love dogs.  The difference, I believe, is this tendency, by some folks, to equate the killer roaming my neighborhood with little Poofy-Moo laying on your lap.  This killer has no right to be considered any better than a coyote, coon or possum.  if you believe he does, why?  Your killer is not afraid of me.  He's learned to circumvent fences, gates and even walls.  Technically, it may not be the dog's fault but, the dog must pay the price for his actions.

Do y'all have any idea how many folks here have been cursed lower than a well-digger;s butt for peacefully approaching a dog's owner?  I have totally given-up on appealing to dog owners anymore.  Three times I've approached an owner, the dog turns up missing, and I'm suspect number one.  One of the times they found their killer in the road killed by a vehicle and still thought it was me!  So now, I don't bring the subject up and therefore don't become a suspect when the dog disappears.  The killer stays on my place.  Permanently.       

Exactly kill the dog problem solved end of story

Do y'all have any idea how many folks here have been cursed lower than a well-digger;s butt for peacefully approaching a dog's owner?  I have totally given-up on appealing to dog owners anymore.  Three times I've approached an owner, the dog turns up missing, and I'm suspect number one.  One of the times they found their killer in the road killed by a vehicle and still thought it was me!  So now, I don't bring the subject up and therefore don't become a suspect when the dog disappears.  The killer stays on my place.  Permanently.       

Reminds me of a incident that happened several years ago when I lived in a neighborhood... One lady had 4 chickens, the only person on the street to have any (she was my next door neighbor) when she was home she let them roam the yard, my dogs never gave the chickens the time of day and respected the fence between our yards... One day she caught another neighbors cats red handed chasing down her chickens in the back yard... So she approached said neighbor about it only to be met with a curse filled rant about how his cat is 'entitled' to roam the neighborhood and he can't and won't stop it from doing so just because she has chickens... A week goes by and the neighbor with the chickens has to rush two of her own 'toy' dogs to the vet, one dies and the other barely pulls through... Vet diagnosis the cause as 'rat poison' and sure enough after that diagnosis she searches her back yard (and tells me to do the same since we are neighbors) and she finds several 'rat pellets' tossed around her chicken coop area... Coincidence? Or payment for trying to do the right thing?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom