Neighborhood Pets and Predators

calebc311

Songster
7 Years
Dec 31, 2013
East Bay California
I have plenty of trees and I have read articles on preventing hawks and other avian predators from getting free range chickens.

However, my concern lies on the neighborhood cat that roams around. The cat is a neighbor's pet that is let free and strolls about our neighborhood. The cat is fairly large. How can cat attacks be prevented? Or should I just enclose my chickens?

My cat comes and goes at will in our neighborhood. It is not a small cat by any means. My neighbors have chickens and my cat sits on the top of the fence but seems content with just watching. I doubt he would ever go after an adult chicken. But in your case, maybe a rooster would do the trick.

I realize you have indicated you free range, but I do want to clarify something - do you have a perimeter/yard fence? Assuming you do........
A few was this can be approached.
1) are you and the neighbor on good terms to the point you would be comfortable approaching them about your concerns?
2) are you familiar with your localities animal control and leash laws - as to whether you are a fence in or fence out locality and whether leash laws are written to apply to cats?
3) you can take the steps necessary to make your property inaccessible to feline predators - I understand you free range so this would mean either addressing the issue at a perimeter level or cutting back on the free range by using a run when you are not able to provide direct security/supervision.

Options 1 & 2 are the least effective because they address just this ONE cat - and the chances that there is only ONE cat to be concerned about (even if you only ever see the one) are slim to none. Option 1 - the chances that they actually have a moment of enlightenment and decide to keep the cat in for your benefit - slim to none. Option 2 is only effective if you have a locality that is interested in pursuing enforcement of whatever regulations are in place (with indoor/outdoor cats this is usually not likely) and are willing to become *that* neighbor that starts causing issues for your neighbor(s) with A/C, etc (not saying it is wrong to be *that* neighbor - only wanting you to go into it knowing that is the likely outcome). Also, if you are in a "fence out" area the responsibility falls back to you anyway.
Option 3 - this is your best, imo, because it addresses ALL felines, not just the cat in question. *most* cats aren't likely to dig under so much as they are to go OVER a fence - but you should address both if you haven't already. A "dig skirt" at your fence line will be useful against cats, dogs, and all other digging predators (most of which I would classify as a bigger threat than the cat). For "over" attacks - a 45 degree extension of your perimeter/yard fence that leans out from the yard will make an attack by cat from over your fence unlikely.

I have a similar issue. I am going with the trap and take to pound at this point. The cat coming in my yard has a collar and bell. NO rabies tag.
I picked it up last year to take it home where it belongs and it spun on me trying to bite. For me rabies is a big concern since it is present already
in my county.
I know chickens cannot get it but dogs, cats and squirrels as well as humans can.
Perhaps if they have to bail it out and pay for the vaccines, fines, neutering etc they will keep it home.
Last year I called the owners about a dozen times to come get the stupid thing.
I vote taking them to the pound.

My pound will try to charge a fee of the person dropping off the animal and the owner only has to pay a menial fee per day to pick up their pet. If they don't have current vet records they are supposed to go get a rabies shot immediately but nothing is there to force them to actually do that nor does the pound force a spay neuter of a animal brought in as a stray when the owners come to pick it up in short order, I believe they only force a spay neuter on animals adopted out not claimed by owners. So in many cases it won't cost the owner more than a few dollars to pic up their pet. Getting animal control authorities involved with the issue would likely get the cat owner a fine in addition to having their precious kitty hauled to the pound

Last edited:
The ASPCA does the same thing here. If I take an animal to the "pound", I have to pay some fee to drop it off. I just posted this in another thread, but the herb Rue is a natural cat repellent. Cats hate the smell of this plant. This herb flowers, so you get some color added to your property as well as a cat deterrent.

Back
Top Bottom