Neighbors daughters dog killed a chicken

The Chicken People

Songster
10 Years
May 4, 2009
Smithville, Mo
It wasnt mine. But it wasfrom half a mile down the road!! I never liked her dog and am glad she went back home and took it with her! Now I still feel bad because the nice lady wont let her hens free range anymore and has no idea what happened to the one the dog got! I want to let her know that the naughty rottie is gone but my Dh said to stay out of it! Its a rissk you run when you let them free range? What are your views on this subject?

As long as you had nothing to do with the dog being gone, then I'd let her know the dog that was responsible for a chicken death in your neighborhood went away. Free ranging is a risk, but it's sometimes a risk worth taking when it makes your chickens happy. It's a nice thing to have fellow chicken owners close by, so I would be making an effort to cultivate a friendship with her, anyways. If it should slip out during the course of the friendship that you suspect it was her bird that was killed by the neighbor's dog...well, then at least she will know and can mourn her bird properly. Not knowing is much worse.

Back
Top Bottom