Neighbors Dog is Digging Into My Yard!

Probably. I think this happens with guarding breeds. People want tough, beautiful dogs and don’t want to put the work into giving them what they need to thrive.
Amen! You said it all right there! They want it all right there without putting in the work. Dogs don’t automatically know how to guard their habitat or territory or know which one is theirs. They also don’t know which area or people are theirs either unless they are trained properly. They have to again be taught how what and who to properly.

But theres so many little dogs in the area. The shelter would probably run out of space on my neighborhood alone.

Not really. Each time a dog gets taken to the shelter, the owner can drive over, pay a fee, and get it back. That penalizes the owner for letting the dog roam loose, and frees up space in the shelter for the next dog.

I struggle with people that have a don't care attitude with their pets. Why even have them in the first place? If your concerned with the local shelter and over crowding do some searching for rescues that can help. Allow the city to take the animal enough times that if they dont care they won't want to pay for then which then they are forced to relinquish their rights to the dog/s and then the rescue can step in and adopt them and maybe even more. Local rescues are great, I worked with a cat rescue and they placed a lot of pets into forever homes even borderline feral cats.

Personally if dog/s attacked my chickens they'd get two options rehome(shelter/rescue) or would disappear. Being a chicken owner all of one week and one day I'm attached to them. Even though some are for food, I cannot except a neighborhood piss poor attitude and lack of responsibility causing them to die in a violent way and ending their lifes prematurely and literally taking from my family.

I might suggest talking to the animal control or whomever deals with the problem and seeing what options are available to you. Also one thing to consider as an absolute last option is taking legal action. Technically speaking damage of personal property is illegal and legal action can be taken both as a criminal charge and compensation.In some states the killing of livestock holds a lot of liability. I can to mention that last bit isn't legal advice, just given you another option. I'm not a lawyer and don't know what laws you have in your local. Do your research and talk to someone that can give your actual legal advice. I'm sure people here could direct you to lawyers or attorneys in your area that can do so or google it.

I do know what you mean. I have more patience for my dogs than I do for my kids.

My kids: mom
Me: what?
Kids: mom mom mom mom mom mom mom mom
Me: whaaaaaaaaat?!
Kids: :D

And the dogs listen better, Haha! For some reason my kids won't hear me calling them a zillion times but they can hear "no video games" just fine.
you trained your children.........

No one needs a guard dog..... a lab does just fine.

Handing these independent orotecting dogs takes a profressional. The rottie is the easiest of all the guard dogs. But still a dog that requires diligence and demands the owner be top dog. There is a long list of breeds developed to fullfil real defense.....

The rottie was a drover dog, stand off ish and willing to jump to defense of family. The sales money was attached to the rotties collar for safe keeping. So the story goes.....

All dogs need a pack leader for best results.

Again, if you cant train a dog, you cant raise children.

I say no once. My kids dont ask again. My job is to help my kids become kind thoughtful people. Being a good parent takes 100 times the effort.....but the principles are the same during the early years. If my kids cant behave, then its my job to remove them , to a situation they can cope with.

No one needs a guard dog..... a lab does just fine.

Handing these independent orotecting dogs takes a profressional. The rottie is the easiest of all the guard dogs. But still a dog that requires diligence and demands the owner be top dog. There is a long list of breeds developed to fullfil real defense.....

The rottie was a drover dog, stand off ish and willing to jump to defense of family. The sales money was attached to the rotties collar for safe keeping. So the story goes.....

All dogs need a pack leader for best results.

Again, if you cant train a dog, you cant raise children.

I say no once. My kids dont ask again. My job is to help my kids become kind thoughtful people. Being a good parent takes 100 times the effort.....but the principles are the same during the early years. If my kids cant behave, then its my job to remove them , to a situation they can cope with.
Great mama :)

In some states, such as California, it is legal to cull a dog that is killing your livestock and it's also the dog owner's responsibility to pay for damages their dog caused. You can consult an attorney and then kill the dog if it's legal in your state. We had a stray husky attack and kill our chickens. The owner refused to take responsibility. I'm sorry your neighbor is so irresponsible.
It is also legal in nc. ANY animal that is even chasing your poultry can be shot on spot. No question. I hate that, as I adore dogs. But, I have lost 6 hens to the neighbors dog, and it won’t happen again. I keep a loaded 380 right inside the door.

Back
Top Bottom