Neon yellow golf balls vs white

nekocafe

Chirping
May 24, 2022
Georgia
Random, bizarre question! A couple of my chickens just started laying today, but they laid in the chicken run. I got 3 golf balls from a friend to put into the nesting boxes to help the chickens lay there instead, but 2 of the golf balls are neon yellow. Does the yellow color matter to the chickens or should I paint them white? (Would use non-toxic paint if so.) I just want to help them out as much as possible so they will lay in the nesting boxes. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    378.1 KB · Views: 28
I seriously doubt the color matters. While chickens can see color (actually more color hues than we can), it's more about the shape and feel in the nest. I have blue eggs, green eggs, teal eggs, white eggs, brown eggs naturally.

New layers often get confused where they should lay. They also have poor timing. Sometimes a new layer will get a startled look on her face, then suddenly squat and lay an egg as if she had no idea that was coming.

It takes time. Keep the egg boxes with "duds" or golf balls. If they are reluctant, lock them in the coop/run area so they can't wander far from the nests until they figure it out.

LofMc

I seriously doubt the color matters. While chickens can see color (actually more color hues than we can), it's more about the shape and feel in the nest. I have blue eggs, green eggs, teal eggs, white eggs, brown eggs naturally.

New layers often get confused where they should lay. They also have poor timing. Sometimes a new layer will get a startled look on her face, then suddenly squat and lay an egg as if she had no idea that was coming.

It takes time. Keep the egg boxes with "duds" or golf balls. If they are reluctant, lock them in the coop/run area so they can't wander far from the nests until they figure it out.

LofMc
Thank you so much! I will keep the golf balls as is then and put them in the nesting boxes. Hopefully they’ll get the hint.

Back
Top Bottom