Nest box pictures?

It's barely a box........

7782_002.jpg

but it's cool for them in the heat of Florida. And I can pop it out to clean it easily.

Orchidchick

This was very helpful - you all have amazing setups, I have a 2 chicken house-cute but small.

I see now my nest (tray) is too shallow , I will try the shoebox idea.

thanks a bunch

Hello here are the nest boxes I just finished 10 days ago I made two of them larg in case i need to put the little chicks by them self when we get some
13683_chickens_005.jpg
13683_chickens_007.jpg

Mine are made on top of an old hand made table that my FIL made for my SIL . DH made to boxes to go on top of it. I am worried they may lay under it also but it hasn't happened yet. They just started laying. If they do lay under it I will put some boxes under there I can pull out to get the eggs out of. Right now they like to hide from the roosters under there. LOL
nest%20boxes.jpg

As you can see they like to sit on the top of it even though it is slanted. Not enough though. I don't really mind because it adds room to the house and right now I need the room before I get the addition finished. If you look hard you can see two eggs in the second nest from the left. Yaaaaa!

Last edited:
Quote:
those are really beautiful. thumbs way up to the DH.

nestboxes.jpg

here are my silly nest boxes, pre-installation. i'm trying to do as much of my coop as i can with recycled materials, so i made these of milk crates and two planks of a leftover interior finish board screwed tightly in. they're not pretty at all, but they're airy, stay really clean, and cost me nothing but an hour's work. if they get really grungy, i can hose them off and if i need to replace the planks, they just screw out.
egginnest.jpg

and the hen enjoys them!

Quote:
those are really beautiful. thumbs way up to the DH.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a400/raven_feathers/chickens/nestboxes.jpg
here are my silly nest boxes, pre-installation. i'm trying to do as much of my coop as i can with recycled materials, so i made these of milk crates and two planks of a leftover interior finish board screwed tightly in. they're not pretty at all, but they're airy, stay really clean, and cost me nothing but an hour's work. if they get really grungy, i can hose them off and if i need to replace the planks, they just screw out.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a400/raven_feathers/chickens/egginnest.jpg
and the hen enjoys them!

Thank you, I'll tell him that his work is appreciated.
tongue.png
No really, I told him they were beautiful but it always helps to hear it from someone else.

He made the nest boxes out of leftover materials from the coop. We were very fortunate to have gotten a lot of the wood we used to make our coop from DH's job site.

RavenFeathers I just put one of those crates in my coop but its upright and I noticed no one has gone in it...have you tried it that way? Is it too deep maybe? I like how you put the board, I may have to flip mine on the side like yours!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom