NEST BOXES, PERCHES, DUST BATHS

childrenschicks

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 17, 2014
West Michigan
I have a few questions!!!

1. I live in michigan and it gets cold!!! Will they go outside at all?
2. When people talk about dust bath material they keep saying DE. What is that?
3. Should dust baths, feed and water be inside the hen house at all times? Or just during the winter?
4. Can I use sticks as perches?
AND LAST
Built my hen house and run..will have 9 hens... House is 8'x6'x7' tall... 5 nest boxes at 12" wide, deep and high and 18" off the floor...perches are 3' off the floor and 2 at 6' long
Run is 8'x14'x7' tall..... Does all this sound correct and big enough for 9 hens and could it be enough room for more in the future?
Sorry for all the questions but thank u!!!!

They go outside all weather. They're not fond of walking on snow so you'll need a covered area or spread straw over the snow.

DE = Diatomaceous Earth. A powder from the tiny creature diatom.

I keep feed inside most of the year to deter wild birds. I keep water outside to limit humidity - especially a problem in winter. Everything can actually be outside since the only time they are inside for any length of time is to sleep and they won't eat, drink or dustbathe at night.

4. No. Chickens aren't really perching animals. They need something wide and fairly flat especially where it gets cold so they can cover their toes with their feathers to prevent frostbite.

The run may be a little small but the coop is fine.
They may appreciate a higher roost. Most breeds like to go as high as possible as long as they have sufficient head clearance. Some of mine sleep in the rafters.
That's way more nest boxes than you need. They'll mostly only use 1 or 2.
Make sure they don't have to walk under the roosts to go from the pop door to the nests so they don't track feces in.

They don't usually like to walk on snow, but they will go out in quite cold weather. There is really no reason to force them to stay in, other than maybe in the middle of a severe blizzard. A partial cover, or a couple of tarps, something to keep an area fairly clear of snow, will be much appreciated.

Mine don't have a dust bath as such. They make their own, by scratching up the fine, dry dirt in various places, which they change around. You can make one if you wish. It can have most anything in it that they will wallow around in and throw on themselves. Wood ashes are an excellent addition, and will do much what DE does or may do in one. DE is diatomaceous earth, which I don't use or like around chickens because it is highly irritating to respiratory tracts, both yours and theirs, so I'll let you research it on your own.

Perches should be fairly wide for a couple of reasons. It's easier for them to cover their feet in cold weater if they are on something like the wide side of a 2x4, or a nice fat branch. Chickens' feet dont curl to the estent many birds' do, and I just can't believe a narrow perch is comfortable. Some really heavy birds even prefer a shelf.

Your numbers sound good for 9 hens and maybe would take a few more, although chickens like their space, and have different tolerances for how small their area is. There are other considerations. I'll link a good article on space for you below. Good luck!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-much-room-do-chickens-need

So I plan to cover my run in the winter but my ground will still freeze so do I need to supply dirt during those times or don't they bath in the winter?
I'll also have dead space above my nest boxes, that will also be the highest point in our house could I put a shelf or perch up there? (My nest boxes are completely inclosed besides the front so poop can't fall in from the top)

They prefer to bathe every day if they have access to dry dirt. Some of my coops are elevated and never get wet so they have dust baths under there. You can provide a tub of some sort with dirt, sand, wood ashes, etc..

I'm reluctant to make suggestions without seeing your setup. You can play it by ear. You're bound to make changes over time anyway.

So I plan to cover my run in the winter but my ground will still freeze so do I need to supply dirt during those times or don't they bath in the winter?
I'll also have dead space above my nest boxes, that will also be the highest point in our house could I put a shelf or perch up there? (My nest boxes are completely inclosed besides the front so poop can't fall in from the top)
I have about 5 inches of sand in my run and in the winter it doesn't freeze, I wrap 3 sides with a heavy canvas and a clear shower curtain on the front, it acts like a greenhouse effect, with the roof and sides covered snow or rain can't get in. Mine stay out in the run all day they can go in but chose to hang out in the run.

I've certainly seen setups with a roost above the nest boxes, also one with a poop board on top of the nests.

Back
Top Bottom