Nesting boxes

BoomChickWow

Chirping
May 20, 2023
2 of my 18 week old hens seem to be close to laying. They are going up into the coop during the day, staying in coop later in the morning.. This will be my first experience with laying hens. I opened 2 of my nesting boxes and have curtains and ceramic eggs, provided oyster shells separate with the All flock feed(since I have some younger chicks). Anything else I should do? I figured these curtains will provide some privacy so the others don’t mess with the eggs but are open enough that they can see to lay in there? May be overthinking it, I am just hoping they see this is where to go. The nesting boxes were previously blocked off with cardboard while the younger ones were figuring out how to roost at night

Attachments

• IMG_1817.jpeg
    IMG_1817.jpeg
    680.2 KB · Views: 67
2 of my 18 week old hens seem to be close to laying. They are going up into the coop during the day, staying in coop later in the morning.. This will be my first experience with laying hens. I opened 2 of my nesting boxes and have curtains and ceramic eggs, provided oyster shells separate with the All flock feed(since I have some younger chicks). Anything else I should do? I figured these curtains will provide some privacy so the others don’t mess with the eggs but are open enough that they can see to lay in there? May be overthinking it, I am just hoping they see this is where to go. The nesting boxes were previously blocked off with cardboard while the younger ones were figuring out how to roost at night
Using curtains is a wonderful idea for all nest boxes, I use them as well and it really helps prevent egg eating. Since they aren't laying just yet, I'd pull up the curtains or at least one side of them so the girls can see the ceramic eggs inside for now. Once they figure this out, you can let the curtains down. You are doing perfect with this, I think your girls will learn fast on where to lay! But don't be surprised if you still find an egg out in the run or outside, sometimes young layers don't know they have to lay or what this new sensation means, and an egg will just plop out anywhere. Generally hens lay in the morning so I'd keep them inside till mid morning so they routinely want to lay in the boxes instead of outside somewhere. Hopefully those eggies start coming soon! 🥚 🥚 🥚

Using curtains is a wonderful idea for all nest boxes, I use them as well and it really helps prevent egg eating. Since they aren't laying just yet, I'd pull up the curtains or at least one side of them so the girls can see the ceramic eggs inside for now. Once they figure this out, you can let the curtains down. You are doing perfect with this, I think your girls will learn fast on where to lay! But don't be surprised if you still find an egg out in the run or outside, sometimes young layers don't know they have to lay or what this new sensation means, and an egg will just plop out anywhere. Generally hens lay in the morning so I'd keep them inside till mid morning so they routinely want to lay in the boxes instead of outside somewhere. Hopefully those eggies start coming soon! 🥚 🥚 🥚
Thank you!

One of my hens laid the first egg in our flock. It was in the run. At this point, I haven't seen interest in the nesting boxes. They also huddle in a corner at night to sleep and don't use the roost. I have nesting pads in the boxes with ceramic eggs. The boxes are about 18" above the coop floor. Any suggestions?

One of my hens laid the first egg in our flock. It was in the run. At this point, I haven't seen interest in the nesting boxes. They also huddle in a corner at night to sleep and don't use the roost. I have nesting pads in the boxes with ceramic eggs. The boxes are about 18" above the coop floor. Any suggestions?
Any evidence at all that they've been in the nest boxes (look for anything being kicked around inside)? Since they're not at floor level, it's entirely possible they don't know the nests are there.

Any photos of the nests and roosts? Have you tried forcing them to roost and if so, what happens? What breeds?

Any evidence at all that they've been in the nest boxes (look for anything being kicked around inside)? Since they're not at floor level, it's entirely possible they don't know the nests are there.

Any photos of the nests and roosts? Have you tried forcing them to roost and if so, what happens? What breeds?
I lowered the boxes so they are only 3" above the ground. There was an egg in one of the boxes this morning(🎊) and one on the floor, so I'm assuming I have 2 that are laying. How do you know which ones are laying?

I lowered the boxes so they are only 3" above the ground. There was an egg in one of the boxes this morning(🎊) and one on the floor, so I'm assuming I have 2 that are laying. How do you know which ones are laying?
You can check the width of their pelvic bones, or check how moist looking the vents are, that'll tell you which are the likely layers. Or if you have the time, you can stalk them and catch them in the act. I've watched most of my birds lay so I can 100% ID egg to bird, but that can take like 45 minutes of just standing around and watching lol.

When I got my girls they all decided to sleep in the nesting box (1 of 2 boxes) they just crammed themselves in. Per all my reading here, I blocked the boxes for a while. When they reached 18 weeks thereabout, I unblocked them and set in nesting pads and fake eggs. They never slept there again and only go in to lay (only one of my girls are laying at present). The advice here in BYC, I have been putting to practice and is valuable to me.

Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom