Neutering Roosters

Pics

Miss Chicken

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 19, 2008
Not sure if this is the right place to post this or not. I'm considering neutering my two young roosters. A local vet has done many and only charges $30-40 per bird. I've heard it will prevent aggressive behavior and crowing. Mine are only 5 weeks old and she will do them starting at 6 weeks of age. Has anyone neutered their roosters?

a neutered roo is called a capon, that is a lot of money for a chicken that won't give you eggs. is there a reason you want to keep them? i'm assuming you are in the city, there is a good chance you still won't be able to keep them as they are males and if a city says no roos, that still applies, especially if you have a grouchy neighbor.

it used to be common practice for commercial broiler growing when it took so long to get chickens to a decent weight, they'd caponize them so they could be older but not stringy tough meat.

Furthermore... it may not stop crowing and they won't develop very "rooster" like bodies. And if a hen takes top position, it is not unheard of for them to start crowing. Many here consider the practice outdated as it involves cutting into the back of the bird and pulling out their male parts though the ribs.

I want to do this to save their lifes and be a responsible pet owner. I got 3 chicks as a rescue situation and two look like they are going to be males. I feel it is my ethical obligation to keep these animals and not give them away. There are too many unwanted chickens in my community as it is. I volunteer for a local chicken rescue group and absoultely don't agree with killing an animal because it doesn't suit my needs. As far as the procedure goes, my vet does not cut into the back of the bird and pull out the testicles. She is using an up to date technique and it has been very successful. I guess I don't understand the negative comments. I'm trying to be a responsible pet owner and have to the funds to do it. It's only $30-40 per bird. My dog and cat's vet visit are much higher than that and ALL pets in my family are equal.

If your vet feels he can do it with minimal risk, and you can afford it (btw, would you mind finding out more about his technique, I'd like to learn more about this?)...

...and it's a choice between three other alternatives that you're not willing (or at least happy) to go for -- the stew pot, or solitary confinement, or the reasonable likelihood of them fighting among each other and overmating your hens...

...then I can't see any reason not to go for the neutering. As long as you understand it is not a guarantee of preventing crowing or fighting.

Good luck,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom