Nevadans?

Eatin'Dirt :

Im very northwest, almost the last exit out of town toward Reno. I have not been to Sandy Valley, did you like it?

Yes, I liked it a lot. It was very rural back then (1987-1990). I haven't been back there since but I know the nearby areas out on I-15 have been built up considerably.​

Last edited:
Ohhh yes it has built up since then!! I don't remember it then, buttttt I do remember 1994 grad from high school & Gma brought a friend & I here for a week. House prices are good out there right now.

Last edited:
Finally first chukar chick this season..
ya.gif

IMG_0070.jpg

Nice chick. I hatched a batch of chukar eggs right after some chicken eggs, they look so much smaller after that. I kept telling myself that there was no way they were that little last year when I hatched them.

Technically we're not in the city limits so we're controlled by the county. I called and they said my side of the street is zoned strictly residential. Across the street is horse-property so I figure we're kind of in the gray area
wink.png
A friend of mine (in our area but on a street with MUCH smaller lots) had chickens and a police officer knocked on their door and said they had to get rid of them. I guess someone from the neighborhood had complained. To me it's quite ridiculous! Dogs are much noisier and cats always poop in other people's yard (and sandboxes which is even worse!) so that's more of a menace than fenced-in chickens. Anywho, I'd LOVE to post pics of my babies but I don't know how and I'm such a newbie I don't think I can yet anyways.

welcome-byc.gif
to all the newcomers. I hope that you enjoy the company, there are a lot of really awesome ppl subscribed to this thread.

Update On The Hatch: We have 10 chicks so far. It definitely took longer than 21 days for the hatch, it has been more like 23 to 24 days. Late bloomers I guess. They are all in wonderful shape, very active but definitely stuck on their new Mama like glue. The most exciting part is that we got a little polish baby out of this hatch. I cannot believe how thrilling this is. I have two more broody hens sitting on more eggs. I figure if I am getting around 3 dozen a day in eggs a few of the girls can take a break and sit some eggs. *LOL*

Here are a few more pictures of the babies and Mama:

2011-05-baby-chicks-001sm.jpg

2011-05-mama-hen-and-baby-001sm.jpg

2011-05-baby-hatching-001sm.jpg

You cannot see it too well but this egg is cracked. I had to help 3 of the babies hatch out. After about 12 hours of them trying to push themselves I decided to help out a bit. My hens love their oyster shells but unfortunately it has made it a bit hard for a few of the babies to hatch out on their own.

There are about 6 more eggs that are cracked, but I do not know when they first tried so I am giving it until morning before I try to help or not. This is just too awesome for words, I am just glad I decided to wait and see how things went naturally before I bought that big ass incubator. With as ocd as I am about my birds, I think having to do the incubator thing would drive me insane. This has been so easy and 80% fret free.
wee.gif

Last edited:
hi everyone!!! just topped by to wave,
frow.gif

but thought i'd add a note about 3 sided coops and the heat... if you put a low vent on the east or north facing side (so it's in the shade most of the day where the air is cooler) and a vent at the top (heat rises) it will help a lot.... as the hot air rises out the open side and the top vent it will draw in the cooler air from the shaded side...
is the open side of the coop in the shade a good part of the day?? or direct sunlight?? also if you paint, light color paints is better than dark...
frozen 2 liter bottles or a misting system are helpful when the temps get over 100.....

on a side note, i have a broody turkey setting bantam eggs, and i found the 4th duck nest... and she's setting them.. should hatch the last week of mayish....

anyone in vegas want pure rouen ducklings??

Back
Top Bottom