New Alaskan breeders coop - finally!!! (pics)

It makes a huge difference, too. We can hardly hear when all 8 roosters are going at it in there! LOL! VERY nice.
big_smile.png

Wow, how much land do you have? Did you have to get permits or anything to build that awesome god of all coops? We have 8.5 acres and are not allowed to build any permanent buildings here in Ontario, Canada...though, I notice it is on skids, so technically it wouldn't be permanent
big_smile.png

Only 3 acres... wish we had more.
Yep, it's on skids. The only thing we had to make sure was that it was no less than 20' from the roadway. Other than that, no one really minds what you do on your own property as long as it doesn't bother anyone.
smile.png

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Only 3 acres... wish we had more.
Yep, it's on skids. The only thing we had to make sure was that it was no less than 20' from the roadway. Other than that, no one really minds what you do on your own property as long as it doesn't bother anyone.
smile.png

It's really lovely! ... I might look into that with my municipality, if we're allowed to do that, it'd be awesome! I could actually BUILD a sheep/goat barn for the spring
big_smile.png

I have been following your thread. Beautiful coop. Great pics. My DH and I were up in your neck of the woods back in July/August of 1990, I would like to make another trip someday, in the summer. It is beautiful there.
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif
love.gif
caf.gif

Quote:
Thanks!
smile.png
July/August is the perfect time to be here, too. We've had a few BYC visitors already... why not more?
smile.png
(You just have to bring eggs with you!)
lol.png

Quote:
The best way to really do your corners Ferngully, is to actually install your corner boards, and your door and window trim first before you install your siding. Then your siding will just butt right up to the side of your trim boards and won't leave gaps to fill.

This is usually how it is done in home construction and will work very well for a coop also.

Good luck!

P.S. Mrs. AK, very nice job on your coop, and thank you for sharing the pictures of Gods country with us all!

Quote:
The best way to really do your corners Ferngully, is to actually install your corner boards, and your door and window trim first before you install your siding. Then your siding will just butt right up to the side of your trim boards and won't leave gaps to fill.

This is usually how it is done in home construction and will work very well for a coop also.

Good luck!

P.S. Mrs. AK, very nice job on your coop, and thank you for sharing the pictures of Gods country with us all!

Thank you! We're not professionals, by any means!
lol.png
But it worked for us. I should have thought about putting the trim on first. I'm wondering what to do with the door frame, now, though the little bit of a gap does provide some ventilation! LOL!

Tori, you may not be pro's, but you did a lot nicer job than many of the pro's I have seen. You should be very proud of yourselves for what you have done!

Heck, I'm proud of you for what you have done!

What I would do around the door is to figure out where the edge of the door trim would come to on the siding, draw a straight line and then run the circular saw down the siding to cut it back. Then install the door trim, and caulk the edge. Just remember to set the saw blade to the depth of the thickest part of the siding so your not cutting into insulation and such.

Now, if your stud layout inside the wall isn't done so that your siding is still securly fastened, you may need to do something a bit different. Maybe just cut the siding back 3/4" or so and use a much smaller trim around the door. I think I recall from your framing pics that you had a single 2"x4" on each side of the door instead of a double. This would still give you 3/4" for the siding to be nailed to, and 3/4" for the door trim to be nailed to.

Either way, you will be able to trim out the door, and it will look great!

Let me know if you have other questions. I was a pro for years before I beat my body up too bad to continue. I will be happy to walk you through anything construction wise, or so would many others here with experience.

Take care, and have a great day!

Back
Top Bottom