New arrival adults question

Juliechickens

Songster
12 Years
Apr 7, 2007
Memphis, TN
Hi,
Yesterday I received 2 ten month old silkies. They were shipped through the mail and made it to my house in one day. Since they got here yesterday they are very still and are not eating or drinking. What do I do??????? Julie

Sounds like shock to me. If they dont start to drink
within a day try putting some warmed corn from the freezer in front of them, the smell might snap them out of it. Tuna- water packed from the can is a good try- it also smells. If these dont work then -:/use an eye dropper to try to drip some light sugar water to the side of their beaks and see if they take it. I hope you are keeping them in an area that is quiet. I hate to transport live animals thru the mail the handeling of these pkgs is attrocious regardless of what is written on the box!!!!

first off they are scared to death and need to calm down. I would take their beaks and dip in the water...they are just terrified not much tell what they have been thru. I would give them time they should adjust soon. Also if you have a syring take it and fill it with water and drip it on the beaks they will drink if thirsty. then place the food in a dish they will find it ...good luck

Okay, thanks for the information. I did what you said and it worked. Also, they are interacting with my other birds today finally. It's a nice sunny day here so I'm giving them some bonding time. All is much better! Wheeeew! Thanks so much! Julie
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom