New Arrivals (Few toe injury pics for those squeamish)

Watching the little guys panting today made me nervous and it's only going to get worse as the summer rolls on. Luckily most of the coops are shaded but I always double check on the water in the heat.

I'm trying to decide on what to do about an incubator. Do I try and fix the one I have? The problem with it is when you turn it on, it shudders and vibrates and I wonder if the dogs warped the cheap plastic. And then that leads me to my next question. What to buy next. A commercial unit or another sub 100 cheapie. I do enjoy hatching out the quail more than chickens but that's not too say I'll try and hatch out some australorp/cotchin hybrids in the future.

You can see one of his kids leaning over in the pic. I call her sugarboo and she snaps my fingers when she gets broody. I love how she has the wyandotte coloring but the fluffy feet of a cotchin. Two of her sisters are much darker colored and are hard to tell apart and one of them has also gone broody. Think I'm gonna post my laying boxes to the community soon to see how I can improve it.

Attachments

• Diesel and the ladies part two.jpg
    Diesel and the ladies part two.jpg
    520.7 KB · Views: 2
UGh! Another male I think has gotten bullied in the big quail coop. I removed him yesterday and sadly he now has a broken beak and a bit of a sore dome. He's now living out with the other abuse victims. I'm kinda confused as I thought I removed a lot of the males. I'm wondering if the other Roos in there are a bit too aggressive.

Last edited:
It's quite possible to get violence any time you have more than one male in the pen. In order to have more than one male you not only have to have a lot of space and hiding places, but they have to have the right personalities too.

It's quite possible to get violence any time you have more than one male in the pen. In order to have more than one male you not only have to have a lot of space and hiding places, but they have to have the right personalities too.
I'll have to cycle in another male tomorrow then. I've got an idea of the bully as he is tagged and has a sparkly chest. Luckily there's a whole suite of boys to choose from next to that pen which also be an issue.

Well. I advertised my Quail a few days ago and thankfully got a buyer for 16 of them. It'll leave around two coops empty so I'll most likely move the 3 abused boys out there and away from the house since they are making quite the racket LOL.

There's one more male I have to tag in the main coop with the gidge crew and he has that sparkly chest. I spotted jumping from hen to hen like a real swashbuckling casanova. I wonder if he's responsible for the older injured roo.

So. With the 16 gone. I should have the following.
Jakes Harem 6 english whites 5:1
Gidge Crew 14 italians 12:2 or 11:3 still gotta sort that out. (OH! One big mention is that I have a tuxedo in there which I'll be protecting big time! Love those cuties)
An english white and pharaoh roo who are jakes kids.
An abused italian from Gidge crew who is currently residing with Jakes kids.

I'm on the fence what to do with the abused italian as I originally put him in because of his size and striking colors but the other male with a sparky chest was like "This is my huckleberry patch!" (Can you tell I love harley from deadliest catch?) One idea is to switch them. Another thing to consider is whether to have a pharaoh roo.

With more cages free, maybe it will be time for a photo shoot tomorrow since it'll be easier to manage the little lemmings.

Last edited:
Been slack on the photos when it comes to the little guys but I sold 16 today. All of Jakes crew save for two abused boys. And 6 boys of the gidge crew. They kept wanting more hens from the Gidge crew but I had to explain to them I am using them for breeding but it sounds like they might be keen to pickup some more later down the track.

Speaking of which. I have ordered a new incubator.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/185738469912?var=693675147368

Similar to the other one I had but more capacity. I was on the fence choosing between 36 and 64 egg capacity but eventually went for 36 since I think that's all I can really manage. I don't really want to have more than 50-60 quail at any one time. I also ordered a Govee and Inkbird hygrometer to toss inside to test the settings. Might even be fun to try an hatch out some chicken eggs. I have to check with the chick I delivered quail eggs to to find out if she needs more or not. The gidge crew are really pumping out the eggs but there's a male that's quite aggressive so I might change him out I might not.

New drinkers have come in finally! I got inspired by another picture I seen on here to try the nipple drinker with the square base. May come in handy especially with the plastic paneled coop. Could be a simple task of using a drill, mounting it and have some tube come down from a 5-10L res. I've gotta find out how many nipple drinkers per quail is suitable. I'm wondering if it's around 3-5 per drinker.

Also, I decided to separate one of the boys since he was getting picked on by the two other males. But there's only a bit of wire between them, should I look at integrating him back in or is seeing the others through the wire barrier enough for his socialization needs?

Attachments

• new drinkers in.jpg
    new drinkers in.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 1
New drinkers have come in finally! I got inspired by another picture I seen on here to try the nipple drinker with the square base. May come in handy especially with the plastic paneled coop. Could be a simple task of using a drill, mounting it and have some tube come down from a 5-10L res. I've gotta find out how many nipple drinkers per quail is suitable. I'm wondering if it's around 3-5 per drinker.

Also, I decided to separate one of the boys since he was getting picked on by the two other males. But there's only a bit of wire between them, should I look at integrating him back in or is seeing the others through the wire barrier enough for his socialization needs?
I don't recommend trying to integrate an extra male back in. Males tend to be territorial and will often try to kill each other.

Back
Top Bottom