New Arrivals (Few toe injury pics for those squeamish)

It's hard to find homes for extra males. I hope you find homes for them.

If you are willing to consider culling, have you considered something like these?
It is very hard to find homes for them I agree. I was lucky when the last person wanted to buy 16 of them and a lot of the spare males but I think he intended to process the extras and he had weiros. I'm still wrapping my head about how I'm going to go about butchering them to think too much of the food side of things but I do like that one with the sesame sprinkles! Oh. And gotta do the buttered quail dish that GoT did or was it something else? I just remember them talking about it one episode.

It is very hard to find homes for them I agree. I was lucky when the last person wanted to buy 16 of them and a lot of the spare males but I think he intended to process the extras and he had weiros. I'm still wrapping my head about how I'm going to go about butchering them to think too much of the food side of things but I do like that one with the sesame sprinkles! Oh. And gotta do the buttered quail dish that GoT did or was it something else? I just remember them talking about it one episode.
Have you read this article?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-to-process-your-quail-including-gory-pictures.75834/

No, but thank you for the link!

I've seen myshire farms go about it and then the traditional homestead guy go about it. The lazy part of me likes the myshire way. I do wonder how quail would fry up but maybe just use the breast. If I could do honey chicken with quail, that would be awesome. One of my favorite dishes.
If you can do it with chicken, you can do it with quail.

That sounds like a plan then. I love me some fried chicken. I was just taking note of the main coop today where the gidge crew reside and despite the aggressive roo I don't see many missing feathers or hens being scalped. I still have 3 males left over that I'm growing out. The english white and pharaoh isn't fully grown yet but they are close. I've also got a picked on male that shares a cell with the pharaoh and they don't mind each other but the english white, oh no, can't have that.

The egg production from the gidge crew has come to a little bit of a stand still. I guess because maybe they are new layers?

Here's a photo of the two current flocks. What you don't see is a cage of 3 hens where one is kinda getting bullied. I'll check in the morning and if it's still going on I might have to separate him with someone from the gidge crew. I'm eagerly awaiting the incubator to get some more bubbas going. I also need to get some vinyl and staple it to the two tier coop I got for free. I keep thinking of how to put legs on it but the lazy side of me just wants to use milk crates.

Part of me wants to get the two little tuxedos and have him with the english white that gets picked on. I love the tuxedo colors just as much as the tibetan/italian.

EDIT: I do wonder if that little white hen is exhibiting some kind of stress. The drinkers were empty duh! I do get forgetful at times and this is why I'm wanting to get them onto some automated drinkers. I'm just trying to think of a way I can suspend some sort of container. Might just have to be a bucket with piping down to a horizontal pvc pipe with the nipple drinkers screwed in.

Attachments

• Gidge crew b.jpg
    Gidge crew b.jpg
    487.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Gidgecrew.jpg
    Gidgecrew.jpg
    406.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Jakes crew chillin.jpg
    Jakes crew chillin.jpg
    360.3 KB · Views: 1
  • nomorepublichousing.jpg
    nomorepublichousing.jpg
    445 KB · Views: 3
  • Jakes crew loungin.jpg
    Jakes crew loungin.jpg
    405.1 KB · Views: 2
Well. I decided to select an adorable italian hen to spend time with the lone english white roo that gets picked on by the other isolated males. Figured at least he has company and despite the hen being older in age, she's slighter. Who knows, maybe some of their babies will go into the incubator.

Speaking of! I might have to let up on the quail egg supply to my crush and use all 80 in the incubator when it arrives tomorrow...hopefully. I'm thinking with 36 chicken eggs I'm hopefully of at least around 70ish? But who knows. Maybe I should of gone bigger but the idea of managing a mountain of little babies with dogs around sounds way too scary!

I'll be repairing the quail coop freebie I got soon with vinyl flooring (just need to find a place) and then I'll staple it to the pine floor and either use hemp bedding or maybe pine shavings. I do have a heap of shredded cardboard saved up that I might use at first. The only thing I don't really like about them is that they are a little narrow so I'm really hoping to set up a modular water system.

My dream system would be 200L drum suspended even higher than the main coop so it relies on nothing but gravity to supply all the drinking water. Now. Their is one option available and it would be to snag a bit of scaffolding and use that since no one else is using it but it's super cumbersome and big and yeah.

The other idea is to just put a 200L drum on the floor and run a pump to everything. Would be easier but power outages would suck. Ugh. One idea could be to remove the roof of the main coop, add a lot more support and put a 50L tote on top of that. Maybe two but I wouldn't want to overload it. At least that way I'd be able to service quite a few pens. I think this coop freebie will be my last quail coop and if I wanted to make a really nice one, I'd probably throw the other one out for kerbside collection.

Imagine having a mail system like America in Australia! Instead...we have this.
Delivery expected 2023-11-06 - 2023-11-08

Whelp. My batch of eggs cannot wait much longer so I'm deciding to look at a 2nd hand incubator today; wish me luck lol.

Imagine having a mail system like America in Australia! Instead...we have this.
Delivery expected 2023-11-06 - 2023-11-08

Whelp. My batch of eggs cannot wait much longer so I'm deciding to look at a 2nd hand incubator today; wish me luck lol.
Wow I thought all mail was like here. I thought wrong. It must suck not knowing the exact date you’ll get it.

I hope you find a good one 🤞

Wow I thought all mail was like here. I thought wrong. It must suck not knowing the exact date you’ll get it.

I hope you find a good one 🤞
Nah Auspost sucks and is widely criticized all the time. CEO makes bank as well. Between the long ass delays, posties that just deliver cards that state 'to come and collect your parcel the next day' (or next bloody monday because imagine auspost working the weekend!)

Couriers are good though. Way better couriers out there in Australia than bad couriers I find. But this courier is one of the bad ones.

Back
Top Bottom