New Brahma Group: Blue Partridge x Partridge, Plus Dark

Pics
Correct. However, the Dark males should be correctly patterned, they will just have leakage.
If you were to take the best overall male from that breeding and pair him with Partridge/Blue Partridge hens, he would produce 50% BBS Partridge, and 50% BBS Dark (males will have leakage), since he would have both silver and gold base color genes. The good thing about the Dark variety is that the pattern genes aren't nearly as much of a mess as the Blue Partridge can be. She may really help to clean up the patterning issues.

Ok, I think I have it. Thanks!

Since you're showing yours off, I might as well share what I've got. This guy is only 13 weeks old! He's almost as big as his dad, and he's already acting like a proper rooster. The 6 month old pullet in the top photo adores him. I'm trying for a red base color with the columbian restrictor, the barring is a nice touch though. He's not muffed, and he's too pale; but the boys with muffs and the right shade of red are already too aggressive. Temperament is more important at this point in my line's development. And that pullet lays the most beautiful turquoise blue eggs.

Since you're showing yours off, I might as well share what I've got. This guy is only 13 weeks old! He's almost as big as his dad, and he's already acting like a proper rooster. The 6 month old pullet in the top photo adores him. I'm trying for a red base color with the columbian restrictor, the barring is a nice touch though. He's not muffed, and he's too pale; but the boys with muffs and the right shade of red are already too aggressive. Temperament is more important at this point in my line's development. And that pullet lays the most beautiful turquoise blue eggs.
He's rather cool-looking. I like barring with lots of "patchwork" colors.

I'm with you-aggressive males absolutely cannot stay. Either they can be claimed by someone else who doesn't care or they end up in a pot. No exceptions, other than those silly little Belgian D'Anvers, where temperament hasn't really been selected for and I can't breed them because mine just do not lay. My 4 yr old Spike is pretty friendly. His dad, Aubrey, is just not all that smart, hence, loves to stalk me and threaten, although it's usually just bluster in his old age. He's 5 yrs 3 mos old and has mellowed somewhat, rarely actually flogs me anymore. But if he does, it's like a tiny puff of wind. The tiniest hen is only 17 oz.

Most of my 13 week boys are pretty mellow, but they don't even come close to having the right color/pattern genes. The 9 week olds, while a few would be absolutely perfect in terms of looks, are just constantly fighting with each other. They are just showing too much dominance and aggression, at too young an age.

Most of my 13 week boys are pretty mellow, but they don't even come close to having the right color/pattern genes. The 9 week olds, while a few would be absolutely perfect in terms of looks, are just constantly fighting with each other. They are just showing too much dominance and aggression, at too young an age.

Since that one long battle among the 5 week old Brahmas, there have only been a couple of mild tussles. I wouldn't say they are aggressive in the least. Generally, though, unless it's something really extreme, I don't really consider that aggression, just normal pecking order. If they're aggressive toward me, then we have a big problem.

I'm trying to upload a short video to youtube with two of them sparring briefly this morning, but it takes hours for a 15 second video to upload from my house right now for some unknown reason. We do have super slow DSL but it was never this bad until recently.

Some will grab another chick and drag them around by the neck. They just keep at it. Too much. Too intense. And it's only the red boys that have a problem. No matter how well they match my end goals, they will not be sticking around.

Some will grab another chick and drag them around by the neck. They just keep at it. Too much. Too intense. And it's only the red boys that have a problem. No matter how well they match my end goals, they will not be sticking around.
Yeah, that does sound pretty rough, for sure. Odd how it's the red ones, so apparently, there is some accompanying genetic component that has something to do with the aggressive temperament.

0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom