New Brahma Group: Blue Partridge x Partridge, Plus Dark

Pics
Tom is back and in pain, of course, but barring complications, it shall pass (along with pieces of the kidney stones, hopefully). The doctor is a big man, probably 6'6" or so, with huge hands, and he said the stone he did the procedure for was as big as his thumbnail and blocking the pipe so it had to come out immediately or it would damage the kidney.

Your Brahma Brigade photos for today. Bruno flared up at Caroline the day before yesterday. Of all the older hens he'd been around for the first time at his now 11 weeks old, he decided to give grief to the only adult Brahma in my flock. Yeah, not a good idea. Queen Caroline may be ancient but she's still treacherous! He just keeps getting broader and broader.

I cut lumber for a new ladder type roost in their pen today, but may need DH to power the screws in. The ones we have that are long enough strip very easily and though I can use the power saw, not sure I can get enough force behind the screws to get them in w/o stripping, so assembling the pieces in the pen will have to wait a little bit. Then, I will retrofit a bank of nestboxes I already have for their pen as well, hanging them very low on the wall for ease of access.
@Sjisty , @brahmapapa
@junebuggena

Bash, back center

Bruno, the big guy, with Bailey, the darker partridge pullet.

I love Bash's coloring. His chest is becoming more and more blue and less red. And Miss B.J., the only Dark.

Front, Bonnie. Back L to R: Betsy and someone's big bum.

I just love Bruno.

Last edited:
One of my Brahma boys was crowing this morning. Though I didn't see it, I think it was Bash. I was out of sight of their pen and by the time I got back there, Bash was walking around with his head in the air, looking like he was going to do it again, while Bruno was just scratching around in the shavings.

Must be the BRs weren't around
lol.png
No, the Brahmas were safe in their inside pen. No Hector to intimidate, though I'm sure he's teaching them to crow. He taught Apollo, lol. Not like they don't have examples to follow, what with Xander, Atlas and the two D'Anver boys.

The Brahmas now have nest boxes and proper roosts in their pen. That nest used to be divided into 5 and was for the D'Anvers originally. We just removed the dividers so there are two very large nests, about 18" off the floor, so they don't have to jump high.

Last edited:
New pictures today and I got a video of Bruno and Bash sparring a little, uploading now. They'll be 12 weeks old Wednesday.
Just look at that face! Love these boys. He's missing some feathers over the tail because one of the Barred Rock pullets ripped out a chunk of them.

Brandy, below, is very different than the other partridge pullet, Bailey.

Betsy is always hoofing it. She cries every night as the sun goes down, silly girl.

Betsy's coloring is weird on her back. Maybe it will even up later?

see what I mean about Brandy and Bailey?

Bonnie and B.J.

The boys heard something in the trees.

Video is up.

0.jpg

Last edited:
The Brahma Brigade is 12 weeks old now. Still sweet as they can be. Funny story: DH came in and had to tell me about it last night. He went to lock up the barn and said all seven of the Brahmas were sitting on the floor, not on their new roost. He called for Bruno, who stood up and walked over to him, right into his hands. He put him on the top bar. Then, he said, one by one, each of them just began to stand up and walk over to him to be picked up to be put on their roost. He didn't call them, they just began walking right into his outstretched hands, one by one. My BR cockerel, Hector, better behave himself or he might lose the preferred status to the Brahmas. We both just love them.

I loved my old Delawares for their wonderful personalities (or maybe it was just their mind control that makes me think that
lol.png
). But I have to say my smaller AB's while not touchy-feely, are just as good layers and eat way less food.

I loved my old Delawares for their wonderful personalities (or maybe it was just their mind control that makes me think that
lol.png
). But I have to say my smaller AB's while not touchy-feely, are just as good layers and eat way less food.

The ABs are pretty birds. What is the weight of a rooster, generally?

They are beautiful! I watched my tiny Serama, Zeb, having a disagreement with Zeke (partridge Brahma) the other day. Too funny!

They are beautiful! I watched my tiny Serama, Zeb, having a disagreement with Zeke (partridge Brahma) the other day. Too funny!

Haha, the midget and the giant, LOL! These Brahmas are so mild-mannered, so sweet, I'm very happy to have them. Bruno is my best buddy in the group, with Bash a close second and oh, that sweet B.J.! She is a hoot, always needing a rescue because she gets separated from the group. And big Betsy is such a crybaby! Every night, she cries as the sun is going down, like she's afraid of the dark. I think as one of the other groups gets smaller, I may switch the Brahmas to one of those 8x8 pens for more room.

When do they just blow up in size? I'm sort of expecting a big growth spurt soon, right? I don't recall that with my other two Brahmas, though they were both hatchery gals.

Back
Top Bottom