New bubbas

Mezza72

Hatching
May 26, 2015
I haven't been on here for ages...(about 3 months I think).

I have finally moved into new awesome home on 1/2 acre...and last weekend I finally picked my little bubbas (day olds). My partner as set up the most awesome brooder box and the chook pen/run is looking like the Taj Mahal :)

Anyway I got 2 silkies (one black, one motle brown), 2 Leghorns (one blue, one black), and 2 Australops. Unfortunately one of the Australops didn't make it :( it was so sad.. and I cried), she will be buried under my bottle brush tree. I spoke to the breeder and we had a good chat as I felt bad and she was so supportive.

I have 2 araucanas on order and 1 australop as well.

Does everyone name their girls. I have but a couple of them I haven't decided on. I have the names but am waiting on a couple of personalities.

Black Silkie - Coco
Motle Brown Silkie - Chanel (she looks like a little Bengal cat)
Blue Leghorn - Daisy

The other names I have are:
Florence
Ethel
Josephine
Charlotte
Pearl.

So my question after all that is - roughly what age do you go from the starter crumble to the starter pellets?

Love your story. I have about 50 chickens and they all have names, amazingly enough, I don't have a problem recalling their name as their behavior or character was what made me give them those names. I have the feeling that people that raise in the hundreds, may not name them all and some other people that raise them for food may not name them as well. So to answer your question. If you read the back of the flap that comes attached to the bag, it will tell you how long to feed that food for. Just so that you know not everyone feeds pellets to their chickens. I for one don't. I know what is said about spilling and wasting, but my flock does not like pellets, I have all ages of chickens in my flock and no interest in pellets. So basically what I would do is buy crumbles and pellets and mix them together to introduce them to pellets. Pay attention to the food you serve, if you observe they are really going for the pellets change them over to just pellets. I would submit, I would start as soon as it is feasible for them to eat the pellets size. Maybe around a month if your chicks are standard size, maybe much later if they are bantams. Hope it helps.

50! And all named! I would run out of names. Love it!

Thank you :)
Its nice to be able to share with other chicken people. :)

This weekend I will be starting to handle them - I have let them settle in for a week and now its bonding time. :)

Thank you for the guide on feeding. Unfortunately that packets didn't have details as they came from a bulk place (if that makes sense).

I am taking photos of each bubba on the weekend so I will post them :)

Back
Top Bottom