New chicken mama!

Kcerquozzi

In the Brooder
Jul 15, 2019
Pennsylvania
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Still pretty new! I started my backyard flock about 4 months ago.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

I’ve been through the ringer already starting out on this journey.
We started with 5, 1 week old pullets. They spent their first 6 weeks or so in our garage under a heat lamp, (and my constant eyes) and as they started getting bigger I would let them spend an hour or so outside in the sun so they could explore the yards. The transition to their outside coop was surprisingly easy. They willingly stayed around the yard and every evening when we went to close up their coop we noticed they pretty much put themselves to bed.
Everything was going great until our very large dog didn’t take his size into consideration and wanted to play with the chicks, resulting in 3 tragic deaths. I cried, it was awful. Thus began the cycle.
Over the next few weeks I added about a dozen to the flock, with the youngest being a few days old and the oldest about 1 year old - she is currently our only egg layer and definitely #1 in the pecking order (we call her big mama) I was interested in seeing if my success with the birds depended on the ages that I got them.
It seemed that every time I added 2-3, I would lose 1. Regardless of age. Either it mysteriously wandered away and never returned or a predator would get to it - we unfortunately live in an area where foxes, raccoons, weasels and coyotes are popular.
Many coop adjustments have been made, along with adjustments on how I take care of the birds.

SO, currently I have 8 chickens and 4 guinea fowl. Ages range between 3 months - 1 1/2 years. And to my knowledge, I only have 1 rooster. He isn’t crowing just yet but boy is he handsome, and surprisingly friendly!

(3) What breeds do you have?
I have a few crosses of americauna’s, Plymouth rocks, australorps, silkies and bantams.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
I honestly just love watching them, how creepy does that sound?! They’re so funny and curious! I also love seeing their personalities develop and how they get a little more comfortable around me with each new day. The fresh eggs are nice too :)

(5) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

My boyfriend and I bought our home about 2 years ago, sitting on a couple acres I was finally able to convince him to let me get chickens! He loves building new things which is great for when I find any sort of new coop adjustment idea on Pinterest! :lol: We also have our 2 dogs who are still learning that the chickens are not play toys but have otherwise been very welcoming, and curious themselves!

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I noticed that every time I searched anything that had to do with chickens, I was somehow always directed to this site so I figured to join on in!
I’m always searching for new information and I welcome ANY and ALL advice I’m given!

Last edited:
-byc-flower-fence.png

Back
Top Bottom