New chickens wont root or use nest boxes

I have one who doesn't like roosting at at almost 2 years. I found that lower roosts help. They all roost now, except for one. And I put her up on the roost every night so she doesn't get pooped on. She's a white Cochin- all feather. My lowest roost is only about 4 inches above the floor.
Good gravy. Lemme fix all those typos...

Don't put them on the roost in the dark. They'll fall off. They'll get the hang of it.

They shouldn't fall off - jumping off in a panic, maybe. Starting chicks off on lower roosts helps with that.

We got them from friends who got them from a hudderite family who had to many chickens, so no they had no roosts (they did at my friends but they also were over crowding them there :|) They are maybe 7-8 months old? I'm just thinking they never learned HOW to roost or anything.

So yes, in that case you will need to teach them to roost.

I am thinking you can go in after dark, and place them on the roost. OR you can do nothing, in both cases, I would think that in 3 weeks, everyone will be roosting.

Change is very hard on chickens, even good change. A strange coop - they are going to huddle for a few days.

MRs K

I will try to get one Sorry it took so long but here my babies...
IMG_1411.jpg

Back
Top Bottom