New Coop Design...advise?

Beautiful job! Too bad the birds are going to poop all over it. :)

The hardware cloth is very expensive but so worth it in the long run.

Beautiful job! Too bad the birds are going to poop all over it.
smile.png

The hardware cloth is very expensive but so worth it in the long run.
How do they poop that much??....I swear they "output" more than they "input" !!

I wanted to update this thread I started before my coop construction.....

Thank you to all at BYC for your advice and knowledge....It helped shorten the learning curve for this chicken novice!!
Learning curve was shortened by you..... seeking advice, then taking it to heart....and planning well for your building before getting chooks!
Proper secure housing is 3/4's of the battle.

It's gorgeous!!

And looks to be very well built! Maybe too well built, it looks as tight as a house except for that one door.
Did you insulate the walls and ceiling? Great for summer maybe, tho it looks like you're in total shade so not as necessary.
What are you going to do for ventilation in the winter? Maybe that's a 'vent to be' up near the ceiling over the roost?

What is the framed unpainted area under the roost boards?

I would suggest putting a metal cage around that light bulb, maybe it has one and the glare is hiding it.

Despite my critique....absolutely wonderful job!!

Can't wait to see more as you progress.

How do they poop that much??....I swear they "output" more than they "input" !!

OhGawd, just wait until they have hen sized poops instead of pullet sized poops!!

Learning curve was shortened by you..... seeking advice, then taking it to heart....and planning well for your building before getting chooks!
Proper secure housing is 3/4's of the battle.

It's gorgeous!!

And looks to be very well built! Maybe too well built, it looks as tight as a house except for that one door.
Did you insulate the walls and ceiling? Great for summer maybe, tho it looks like you're in total shade so not as necessary.
What are you going to do for ventilation in the winter? Maybe that's a 'vent to be' up near the ceiling over the roost?

What is the framed unpainted area under the roost boards?

I would suggest putting a metal cage around that light bulb, maybe it has one and the glare is hiding it.

Despite my critique....absolutely wonderful job!!

Can't wait to see more as you progress.

OhGawd, just wait until they have hen sized poops instead of pullet sized poops!!
You are very observant aart
smile.png
-

Walls and ceiling are insulated. We had a couple of 90 degree days and humid last week and stayed very cool in the coop. It does get a lot of shade.
Yes that is a future vent up by the ceiling along with another one on the other side.
The framed unpainted area under the roost boards was the brooder box that I had them in before I was done with the interior of the coop. I took it apart so I can screw it back together when I get more chicks and keep it right in the coop with the adult birds. I actually have 2 pop doors framed in so both the coop and the brooder can access the run when I have a new batch. I will just section off a small part of the run for the brooder access. Here is a pic of the brooder before I disassembled it...

I never thought about a cage for the light bulb....good point!

Holly Molly! That is a coop after my own heart. Very, very nice build, and it is so neat as to be in Home and Gardens or Martha Stewart's stuff. A knock out design that looks as if it works for you quite well. I keep about the same number of hens, 21, like you note you are built for. It is just sweet.

I don't mind the pallet coops and have even seen a few nice ones, but I favor the nice builds like yours. I am building now myself and hope to be done in a few weeks. I would settle easily for one, half as nice as yours. You can rightfully be proud of that build.

Best to you and your birds.

RJ

Last edited:
Holly Molly! That is a coop after my own heart. Very, very nice build, and it is so neat as to be in Home and Gardens or Martha Stewart's stuff. A knock out design that looks as if it works for you quite well. I keep about the same number of hens, 21, like you note you are built for. It is just sweet.

I don't mind the pallet coops and have even seen a few nice ones, but I favor the nice builds like yours. I am building now myself and hope to be done in a few weeks. I would settle easily for one, half as nice as yours. You can rightfully be proud of that build.

Best to you and your birds.

RJ

Thank you RJ.....being in Home and Garden or Martha Stewart not really my style...I like to blend into the background :)

Good luck on your build!

Nah, you'd have to add curtains and chandelier to make Martha Stewart....lol.

Good plan for the brooder and split run!!

You might have to put a steeply angled roof of mesh, or something, on top of the brooder to keep the adults off so they don't poop on the chicks.

Maybe even consider building a temporary wall (a couple of 2x2's and chicken wire, held in place with a few screws) to put in the coop, so the chicks can stay separate after they outgrow the brooder and the need for heat, until they are full size for integration with the main flock. I did this in my coop and it's been a huge help.

I'm afraid that those two small vents may be inadequate (unless you plan on powering them), check out the link to the ventilation article in my signature at the bottom of this post.

Nah, you'd have to add curtains and chandelier to make Martha Stewart....lol.

Good plan for the brooder and split run!!

You might have to put a steeply angled roof of mesh, or something, on top of the brooder to keep the adults off so they don't poop on the chicks.

Maybe even consider building a temporary wall (a couple of 2x2's and chicken wire, held in place with a few screws) to put in the coop, so the chicks can stay separate after they outgrow the brooder and the need for heat, until they are full size for integration with the main flock. I did this in my coop and it's been a huge help.

I'm afraid that those two small vents may be inadequate (unless you plan on powering them), check out the link to the ventilation article in my signature at the bottom of this post.
I have thought about keeping the birds off of the brooder when I have it set up....haven't decided yet how I'm going to do it. My nest boxes are going to be on the opposite side of the brooder as the poop boards backed into the storage area. So I have to work that into the equation also.

I put hardware cloth on the side of the brooder so the chicks and adult birds will be able to see each other and maybe it will help to integrate them sooner if they are familiar with each other?

You might be right on the ventilation...I guess I will have to wait and see. I do have power ran to it so fans are an option (I have a box fan in there now). I am also going to add another window in the clean out door opposite of the one I have now to help with light and ventilation. When I have more time I will check out your link on ventilation.

Thanks aart

highfive.gif
You did an awesome job. Like you said about taking ideas from different projects that you checked out,
caf.gif
I see some things I like and I see some thing that I'd change for my
project. I would like to make a suggestion and it has nothing to do with the coop. Get metal cans to put your feed in. This will help to keep mice out of your coop and by your coop being in the woods this may eliminate snakes
ep.gif
. I have my feed in metal cans and occasionally I get mice but they don't stay long because of lack of feed. Just an Idea. It looks Great

Back
Top Bottom