New coop in the city!

lnhackford

Chirping
May 20, 2015
Salt Lake City, utah
Its not quite done yet, but thanks to an awesome family member, our coop is almost done! Just need a few finishing touches on the coop itself, and then add the run!
The roof has since been covered and shingled (almost all of the way)

The wire needs to be stapled down, and maybe a lower roost added for my silkies, or a ladder? Not sure...but my daughter sure is having fun "inspecting" the coop before the chicks get to move in :)

WOW! That is a awesome coop that you put together good for you! I am sure your flock will be in chicken heaven, nice, big and roomy! I think a ladder idea would be fun for them, I have always liked that idea! I was just curious are you going to close in some of the drafts? Like at the front top or the coop or the corners, good ventilation is good for any bird, but in the winter I would be sure to close some of them up tightly. I don't know how cold it gets where you are, but where I am last winter it got below freezing a couple times and we got clobbered with snow. Some of the vents I even covered with screens so no bugs, moisture, drafts, would get into my coop; I added almost like sliding doors over the vets/windows so I have the option to shut it in harsh weather or when its hot have it open.

Thank you! I think the ladder idea would be nice too! We definitely plan on covering the gaps. That should happen sometime soon I believe. We have an awesome family member who raises chickens that has helped us with basically everything in building this coop, so he will make sure it's safe for them. Right now, the side gaps are the only things not covered. We got some siding to put on the roof as well as shingles. I live in Utah, so the winters do get pretty intense. We are leaving a few small gaps between the pallets for ventilation, but the big stuff will be closed up before I get them in there so they don't get too cold. I've also played with the idea of a sliding door that leads to the run so we can shut it if we want to. I will post more pictures once it's finished in the next week or so :)

Great!! Looks like you've got everything covered, I'm expecting new chicks tomorrow s I'm getting my "nursery" area set up for them! And yes please update with pics!

Back
Top Bottom