New coop, planning on basing off a dog run.

Beetlejuice

In the Brooder
May 1, 2018
Southern Indiana
Hi All,

Finally bought my first home, we close later this month so in true BYC style one of my first thoughts (after getting the garage done, I am a petrolhead after all), is to chickenfy the garden!

Here is an image, it is approx 60x25ft, with a slight gradient to from about half depth from the house.

ISirk1m6rc14ho0000000000.jpg

At present, the first job is to build a garden shed,which will probably be at the far end of this picture. and then my intention is to build a coop off of/next to that. Because this is our starter home we intend to stay in for about 5 yrs, I was debating about using a tractor style coop but have eventually decided to use a dog kennel/run as a base with a coop either inside or on the edge of it, so that it can be re purposed into a dog kennel should a future owner wish. I've really liked the Norgaard family coop and aim to build something very similar.

38514_9-09_finished_chicken_coop_stevens_visit_031.jpg

We are allowed 4 chickens where I live (We want more which is why we intend to get a homestead eventually) and although we luckily we don't have any predators I intend to only let our chickens roam free in the garden when we are home. It's a rule my parents had when we were growing up and it helped a lot in avoiding fox attacks etc. Therefore I want a reasonable sized coop for them to roam around when we are not at home. I want 2 RIR's and my wife will be choosing the others.

It's most likely that I will be building the coop early next year ready for chicks next summer, which will give me time to find a used dog run and plan a coop, so feel free to chime in with your ideas!

I see you just joined. Welcome to the forum!

If it were me I'd close in the open end of that 25 x 60 area and free stand that coop inside that. That way you do not need to cut holes in the fencing.

I don't know where you are located but you are going to have a lot more predators than you think. The way I'd approach that is to try it and see what happens. My philosophy is to provide a predator resistant run during the day and secure them in the coop at night. There is a myth that most predators are only active at night, that is not even close to true. But many are more active at night, human activity tends to keep them away during the daytime.

It is possible something could attack during the day, that fence really won't stop a lot of predators. I don;t know how high it is but fox, bobcat, raccoon, possum, and some other things (depending in where you are) can climb right over. If you do have a problem I'd consider using electricity to stop them. That is hugely effective against any ground-based predator.

Predators are a great unknown. You can have all kinds of them coming around and even with really poor protection nothing happens for years. Or even with a really tight coop/run one manages to break in. Some people totally free range for years without a problem while others that try to keep them locked up are soon wiped out.

Good luck and once again :frow

I also built mine with a dog run against my shed. I put the back of the coop against the shed and the fencing against it so my coop is also fenced in. I even had a extra panel to put on top. I will be putting 3ft high hardware cloth along the bottom and covering the chain link above that and on top with some kind of wire to be determined.. also I am thinking of pouring a bit of cement around the outside edges to keep preds from digging under. Maybe a hot wire also. Mine is raised of the ground about 3-4 ft and can provide some shade underneath. Best thing is I've only spent about 150$ so far because we used what we already had. 70$ of that was on paint. :rolleyes: AND the dog lot could be extended later fairly easily incase chicken math gets the best of me.:D

I see you just joined. Welcome to the forum!

If it were me I'd close in the open end of that 25 x 60 area and free stand that coop inside that. That way you do not need to cut holes in the fencing.

I'm not allowed a coop on the edge of the property line according to the local ordinates, which is why I plan to have it inboard of my garden shed. They say it must be a minimum of 10ft from the property line. So it was never my intention to cut any holes in the fencing, I will by building a standalone fenced area with a coop inside.

I don't know where you are located but you are going to have a lot more predators than you think. The way I'd approach that is to try it and see what happens. My philosophy is to provide a predator resistant run during the day and secure them in the coop at night. There is a myth that most predators are only active at night, that is not even close to true. But many are more active at night, human activity tends to keep them away during the daytime.

Of course, however we live on the same estate a few doors down and our current neighbour has ducks free roaming with no issues at all. I will be on the safe side though.

Good luck and once again :frow

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom