New Dogs Pooping in the House

bigredfeather

Songster
11 Years
Oct 1, 2008
Yorkshire, Ohio
This past weekend we got two six month old Schnauzers. They were said to be house broken. They have doing well with the peeing, but they are both having a pooping problem. They get taken out every 2 hours during the day, right before bed, and first thing in the morning. I took both of them outside this morning, and 10 minutes after they were back in the house they both duked on the carpet.

Anyone have a solution on how to correct this behavior? Aren't they so cute?

Are you crating them? The only time I would let them out of the crate would be if I knew that they had defecated. Why were they rehomed at 6 months of age?

Are you crating them? The only time I would let them out of the crate would be if I knew that they had defecated. Why were they rehomed at 6 months of age?
No, I haven't been crating them. I don't even have crates for them at this time.

They were rehomed because the lady that had them is starting a job that will keep her away from home for 10-12 hours per day. She's feeling guilty that they are going to be home with no attention for that long. She was willing to give them away to a good home. We have four young children that are homeschoooled, so they are getting an abundance of attention which is what she wanted.

First, teach them to eliminate on command.

Do this by going outdoors with them for potty time. Have treats in your pocket. As the puppy squats to pee or poop, stand close by, and the entire time elimination is happening, say what will be your elimination command. It can be anything you want. I say "Go potty". Keep repeating this as long as the pup is going, and as soon as s/he finishes, give the treat.

It will be better if you can exercise each one outdoors separately. (this is one reason why people are so often advised NOT to get two puppies at once....so you might have to figure out how to do this, OR have two people go out with them, one to teach one puppy, and the other to teach the second one.

Second, if you don't get results on your morning walk, do not allow them to have run of the house. Put them in a crate, and try again 10 minutes later.

If your puppies are eliminating consistently 10 minutes after you come back inside, this means you need to STAY OUT LONGER.

So, for 14 days, you are going to go out with your pup for elimination, and find at least 3 times per day to observe, name, and reward elimination.

Most puppies after about14 days will understand and will then find a place to go once you start saying your potty word.

So, teach your dog that pottying outdoors earns a cookie, teach your dog what "go potty" means by standing close and saying this while they go, and then offering a cookie. For the first 14 days, say the potty command ONLY WHILE THE PUPPY IS ACTUALLY ELIMINATING. This is because you are teaching the puppy that these words mean this action. At the same time, try to prevent the puppy's chances of eliminating in the house by using a crate for confinement, and preventing access for them to go off out of sight and eliminate in the house. DO NOT punish any indoor accidents. This will only teach the pup to go out of sight to eliminate.

Good luck!

Teaching them to go on command is great for those rainy days too
1f609.png

Excellent advice!

Back
Top Bottom