New duckie mom

It looks kind of yellowish orange, and smells terrible. It seems to be a majority of what they poop out. It looks like they eat and drink enough, they have access to both 24 hours a day except for bath time. This was their kennel (and them) just a second ago. They just got their bath and I sanitized the kennel.

Duck poop smells terrible... might be the type of feed too... I use Purina Flock Raiser for all my ducks, it's better balanced for their needs and causes a little less stinky poops too... are they getting niacin supplement? They absolutely need it if they're on chick starter for the first 10 weeks...

Kennel looks good! You could remove the pan though, it'll just make for a lot extra mess... get a half gallon milk jug, cleaned out, cut a hole big enough for their heads at top of their back height and secure it in one corner filled with water... that will give them the deep water they need to be able to submerge their heads to clean out their eyes and nares and cut back on water mess... just make sure the hole isn't big enough for them to climb into it... replace with new ones as they grow...

@Amiga got any more tips, links or ideas, please?? :)

First thought - yellowish orange poo not within range of normal unless they are eating treats that are that color. Yeast infection?

Duck poop smells the most when the diet is high in protein. Exception: every now and then, ducks release what some call a cecal poop, I think. A real eye burner. Nervous ducks also make eye-burners.

We had this more when the ducks were 3 to 8 weeks old - they were a jumble of nerves for a while.

Anyone know what might help if the ducklings have a yeast overgrowth?

I found this - for what it's worth http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=15+1829&aid=3090

Last edited:
Apple Cider Vinegar with the mother, maybe? :confused:

Edited to add - put a tbl spoon full in the water for a bit and see if that helps...

Last edited:

These are mallard ducklings I rescued last year and released, at 2 days, 1, 2 & 3 weeks of age.

I know nothings about raising ducks, but fed them medication chicken starter, kept them in a chicken run and attached a kiddie pool to it. I also ordered them meal worms. They grew and thrived. But I am not endorsing my way at all! I was doing the best I could. They pooped a lot and it smelled awful. This was my set up and once they were older I moved them to the grass.

I never held mine and they always remained scared of me I kept them in food when I relased them until they were gone for good one day.

Last edited:
Great thread. I am sure I will have another opportunity to raise ducks, living by a refuge. I didn't realize the food was medicated until I bought it for my chicks this year. The co-op gave me chick starter last year and it is their big bag of what they sell. I called many places trying to get advice. So I am thankful to have this forum for advice now.

Back
Top Bottom