New ducklings coming in the mail!

Fairywoodducks

Songster
Jul 14, 2018
Pennsylvania
Hi all! I have 2 new ducklings on the way from Metzer Farms. They'll be in on Wednesday. I lost my favorite buff duck, Luna, to a hawk earlier this month, so automatically when you loose 1 you gain 2 (duck math is a real thing)! After buckling down on our yard we decided to get another Buff and Cayuga, and we already have a mallard and 2 khaki Campbells. Mallard and Campbell (creative names, I know) are both drakes and Amelia is a full blown quacker. The two new babies are ducks, so hopefully when the hormones hit with the boys it won't be too bad. Already have a bachelor pen in works just in case though.
To the point! I've never received ducks by mail and I'm wondering what to expect. I took the day off work, as well as the following two days (my boss was very amused I took a duck maternity leave), just to make sure they are healthy, well, and we bond immediately. My ducks are pets, and I hold them and interact with them many times a day.
I've read Metzers website, but I'm just curious about others experiences. Already have the brooder, food, supplements, and toys set up. I even have an upstairs and downstairs brooder so they can get use to the dogs, cat and all our noises.
20180923_175346.jpg

Hi all! I have 2 new ducklings on the way from Metzer Farms. They'll be in on Wednesday. I lost my favorite buff duck, Luna, to a hawk earlier this month, so automatically when you loose 1 you gain 2 (duck math is a real thing)! After buckling down on our yard we decided to get another Buff and Cayuga, and we already have a mallard and 2 khaki Campbells. Mallard and Campbell (creative names, I know) are both drakes and Amelia is a full blown quacker. The two new babies are ducks, so hopefully when the hormones hit with the boys it won't be too bad. Already have a bachelor pen in works just in case though.
To the point! I've never received ducks by mail and I'm wondering what to expect. I took the day off work, as well as the following two days (my boss was very amused I took a duck maternity leave), just to make sure they are healthy, well, and we bond immediately. My ducks are pets, and I hold them and interact with them many times a day.
I've read Metzers website, but I'm just curious about others experiences. Already have the brooder, food, supplements, and toys set up. I even have an upstairs and downstairs brooder so they can get use to the dogs, cat and all our noises. View attachment 1542628
I am planning to buy duckies from Meyer hatchery in OH late winter. Have seen on Metzer's web-site that they're located in California and am afraid that the transport all the way from there to WV could be too much for the little ones…
But looking forward to listen to your experiences. PA is as far away from CA as WV.

I am planning to buy duckies from Meyer hatchery in OH late winter. Have seen on Metzer's web-site that they're located in California and am afraid that the transport all the way from there to WV could be too much for the little ones…
But looking forward to listen to your experiences. PA is as far away from CA as WV.

I've read that the ducklings are able to survive the shipping process because it's still absorbing its yolk sack. I could be wrong about this, but it make since. It's like a seed using its seed coat for all its nutrients. I'm nervous, but incredibly excited!
I'll definitely post pics!

Also, I'm from charleston wv originally and the weather in late winter could still be sketchy in that area. I would wait for warmer days for shipment. I've read how they're ducklings didnt do well with the cold weather. Most were positive, but it makes me nervous.
That's why i think buying from Meyer in OH will be better as they're closer to WV.
I'm not so worried about cold, I'm planning on ordering ~30 ducklings, so they can huddle together, my concern is more the amount of time the sweeties must spend in a cardboard box without light and somebody to attach to.
Planning for February, so by May they will be old enough to join the outdoor ducks.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your duck :(
I've ordered from Metzer twice and all has gone great. Picked the babies up early Weds morning at the post office each time.
I believe they all come with little rubber leg bands on that need to come off in the first couple days (think I used nail clippers to get them off).
They are so tiny and adorable, also sleepy from their long journey. Good luck with your new babies! Can't wait to see pics :)

Back
Top Bottom