New from Medford, MA

Hi nyarasha,

Do you have any update if the City of Medford moved forward with their urban chickens regulation?
I currently live in Somerville and have four hens. My landlord is moving back into the house so I have to move and seems like I can only afford in Medford now. Would be great to be able to keep my girls.

Hi rabisquito!

I don't have an update, sadly. I have been trying to communicate with Patrick Hogan about the next steps, since he seemed favorable to the idea of adopting a similar policy in Medford as Somerville or neighboring cities. If you have time to call him, that would probably go faster!

It's dropped under my radar for now. Let me know if you hear anything!

In the meantime, there aren't particular restrictions, but there aren't particular allowances for chickens either.

Take care!

Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

jumpy.gif
D.gif
welcome-byc.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif

There's a lot of resident interest in having chickens in Medford, MA, but there is no organization.
Any movement towards this will need to be from the residents approaching the City Council and saying that they want an ordinance allowing chickens. The Animal Control Officer has worked on a draft in the past, when there was resident interest, but it must be championed by residents.

FYI - There is currently movement on this. There is a group of folks collecting information from neighboring towns/cities that allow chickens, talking to members of city council, and working with city staff on a draft ordinance. If you want to be involved and/or know of other folks who might be interested in getting involved, post here.

Back
Top Bottom