New Hampshire Breed for Exhibition & SOP

The Schilling prints are the best representations that we have for type and color. When I read the Standard description this is the color and type that I see.

The main points that always stick out to me is . . .They are not birds known for length. They are instead wide birds, with depth. Their capacity comes from their width and depth. The bird in the print has a good strong frame, set on strong legs. A prominent breast, deep keel, and good width. It is not a bird with a lot of length.

NHs were known for their rate of maturity, early fleshing, and speed of feathering. Birds with long and tall frames, generally take more time to fill out. The NH reputation is grounded in the breed's type, and size. The Standard weight acts as an anchor of sorts.

Would you suggest mixing the German and the Regular together?

What Regular ones are you referring to?

Matt

American bred standard
big_smile.png

Would you suggest mixing the German and the Regular together?
It might be best to get the best that you can find. Then work with them for a couple generations before making any decisions about using anything else. It takes a bit to know what you have, what you do not have, and what you need. Even then it could be wise to introduce something on the side, and decide whether or not it could hurt or help before introducing the new blood to the main effort.

To go outside, it seams best if it is for a particular reason. There should be a goal in mind. Then having some control over the influence. Any breeding effort of any sort needs a goal and direction. It is hard to do anything positive just mixing and matching.

Ask ten people, and you might get ten different responses. Mine is no better than any other you might get. Just be careful for what you ask for.

Matt, can probably share some helpful thoughts on the subject.

There are very few American lines still in existence. Do you have a particular line in mind?

Likewise...there are very few pure German bird left. Most are crossed.

Matt

Jeff down in La Catdaddyfro I think has German. But I haven't talked to him lately. Only a couple of hours from me. I haven't heard that he has mixed his but I don't know.

The birds I have are "German". I chose to continue with birds that I purchased from Joe Jefferson. I never found anything better. I have preferred them overall.

Have you had any of yours be broody? I have had a terrible time with broodiness in my German NHs this year. "Terrible" because I don't want the broodiness. One of my older hens went broody 3 times after being broke of it the first two times. Of 9 younger ones I kept, hatched last year, 5 went broody, 4 of them twice, 1 of them three times!

Have you had any of yours be broody? I have had a terrible time with broodiness in my German NHs this year. "Terrible" because I don't want the broodiness. One of my older hens went broody 3 times after being broke of it the first two times. Of 9 younger ones I kept, hatched last year, 5 went broody, 4 of them twice, 1 of them three times!
No. I had a couple NHs act like they wanted to in the last 6 years, but have not had any commit. Not one. Ironically, I wanted some setting hens. I did not get any until I got a Mediterranean breed.

I guess if you do not want any, you will have a surplus. If you do, you will have trouble finding them.

Back
Top Bottom