New Hampshire Breed for Exhibition & SOP

Pics
Well this thread is not very active. Maybe I can get some opinions (Matt?) on these hens. Since there was talk of the tails being too high in the NH hens...here goes, tell me if any of these have tails LOW enough ?? I think they are all too high. Hens are my original pure German birds, hatched 2012.

Blue band:

Black band:

Lavender band:

White band:

Yellow band:

Marcia, I would say that "Blue Band" and "Yellow Band" are right about where they need to be. Lavendar Band is to high and the other 2 are borderline.

This is the Schilling picture. This is what I breed for... You be the judge.

Matt

Last edited:
Popsicle, your New Hamps look like typical German New Hampshires. I would say the older cockerel is better right now but give the younger one some time.
It is hard to identify "split" wing without spreading the wing but what you are probably seeing is what is called "slipped" wing or "lazy" wing. Slipped wing is where the bottom 1-3 primaries don't fold up tight when standing relaxed. This issue is fairly common in lines of German New Hampshires. Completely different issue than "split" wing.

Matt

Matt-

Whenever I look into a breed it seems you have them. Not only do you already breed them but are breeding quality stock. Of anyone to ask some questions your the man. This thread is a bit dead but perhaps you'll see this. Who knows, maybe kicking the tires with get this thing running again.

On your New Hampshire do you have growth weights you can share? Many folks are interested in heritage birds for back yard meat. True dual purpose. Historically this was the New Hampshire and Plymouth over New Hampshire sport of Delaware. If anyone isn't going to lose sight of this fundamental trait of fast maturity when breeding to SOP it's going to be you.

Is your line getting to the standard weights of the 50's? That would be butchering at 12 weeks, live weights around 6 lbs and carcass averaging 4 lbs. Found 1951 reference of 1.81 Kg dressed at 12 weeks which is 3.99 lbs. Any weights you'd like to share to show the current status of this breeds potential?

With the two lines of Reese, what I assume most have, and German which was the faster early growth?

Come to think of it don't you have White Plymouth Rock too? How do they compare in weights for butchering time line? White Rock being one of the few true utility birds left at SOP I can think of.

That's a lot of questions and I appreciate any info and all of your time.

Thank You

Egghead, I am sorry but I do not weigh my birds. It is not necessary for what I do with them. Type is paramount when breeding to the standard. I would however assume that they are at or a bit above standard weight at the proper ages because my New Hamps mature very quickly. Your assumption about the "Reese" line being what most people have would be false...probably 85-90% of the New Hampshires being shown are primarily the German line. My line is crossed German and American but not the "Reese" line of Americans but they are probably 80-90% German. The American line that mine are crossed to is the line that the Halbach's had for years which is the same line that Buddy Hudson had.

Matt

One thing I don't understand is what is the hype about German new Hampshire? They are not true APA should a judge even place them. They only appear to meat SOP but they are not they are not a true DP. They are not actually meaty. I personally think it is an insult to theNH which is not a European breed, it is an American breed.Their are truly still breeders who have NH that actually are able to process at 12wks being 6\7lbs live weight.you can't get that from a German

What weight did you get the German line to in 12 weeks when you raised them?

20181219_125549.jpg

Attachments

• 20181219_125509.jpg
    20181219_125509.jpg
    444.7 KB · Views: 10
sadly i got these from a hatchery(don't judge, I was stupid at the time):oops:. But i'm getting some more this February from a professional breeder to help cull some of the defects from these. i believe his are German line.

Back
Top Bottom