New Hampshire Breed for Exhibition & SOP

I'm seeking some opinions on my New Hampshires. It's been several years since I've had anything other than hatchery chickens. I got them because I saw an opportunity that I could afford and I have always thought the German New Hampshires were the most beautiful chickens.

There are two cockerels and nine pullets. I think the older cockerel is better than the younger, but I guess wouldn't know. Is either worth saving? I'm not sure if I'm seeing split wing in some of the photos--I can't say I've noticed it while in the coop. I culled one cockerel already that had curled toes, and one pullet has curled toes.

Older cockerel (21 weeks old):

Younger cockerel (14ish weeks old):

Pullets:

Last edited:
Popsicle, your New Hamps look like typical German New Hampshires. I would say the older cockerel is better right now but give the younger one some time.
It is hard to identify "split" wing without spreading the wing but what you are probably seeing is what is called "slipped" wing or "lazy" wing. Slipped wing is where the bottom 1-3 primaries don't fold up tight when standing relaxed. This issue is fairly common in lines of German New Hampshires. Completely different issue than "split" wing.

Matt

Hi hope all are doing great... I was wondering if anyone here had a source or knew of one that gave info on the early days of breed New Hampshires...? I do not meant history... I know that.. I am wanting info on breeding, types of breeding that was going on pior to WWII...

thanks a ton

Keith

Hello. I am very interested in raising a small flock of New Hampshire LF. We would like to use them for our egg/meat needs as well as breed to the SOP for my daughter to show. We are in need of locating a breeder for some chicks to start our flock.

Thanks

Wanted to thank everyone again for their PM's. They were all helpful and we have located a source of chicks. Should have them end of April, beginning of May.

I have a couple questions still remaining though.

Being that the NH is a fast maturing breed, I was planning on culling the birds slow to grow. What would be the cutoff for fast growth? 12 weeks, 16 weeks, or let them go to 20 weeks before culling for slow growth?

At what age do you start feeling the pelvic bones for pinch/width and when do you cull for narrowness?

Matt,

When you talk about the tails being too high on the New Hampshires, are you referring to the hens? I've heard that a high tail on the NH roo should be high for a quality bird.

Also, I'm a new backyard breeder, but trying to breed the best New Hampshires I can ... of the German line. Trying to figure out what I need to cull and what to keep in my flock.

If I were to attempt showing any of my birds, what feather characteristics should I be concerned with? You've done a great job explaining the depth of the ideal bird, tails, etc., but what about feathering? For example, I was told that if the feathers on the back of my NH roo laid straight rather than off to the side, he would be a better bird.

Any other tips for the ideal NH? I've saved the picture of the NH hen you posted, for comparison of my pullets and hen.

Thanks much!

Back
Top Bottom