New Hampshire Red thread!!!!!!!!!

Pics
Thanks! It's certainly the hand raised aspect that is the biggest issue. Once we get girls raising their own chicks outside I think I should be right. If only my husband wasn't a bigger softie than me! I'm in Tasmania, Australia which also throws a spanner in the works but I'll see how I go giving him away

I know what you mean about hand raising them being an issue. My Leghorn roos were hand-raised, but they had gotten old enough and obnoxious enough (and they were being rough with the girls and I had the same number of roos and hens) that helped a little (a little) when the time came; I knew it was what was best for everyone.
Let us know how it goes. =)

How are the roosters of this breed? I have read that they are not quite as aggressive as some of the other breeds.

I have four males right now. One is definitely crowing and I'm pretty sure that another one has experimented with crowing. None of them are a year old yet.
They are all friendly some of them come up to me and talk to me when I go outside (I free range). The largest one, the one who's crowing, only once pecked my foot (challenging me as the lead rooster). I kicked him (not hard, just hard enough to let him know who's the boss) and he hasn't challenged me since. In fact, if all 18 of them are crowding around me and things work out such that I'm walking up on him, he backs up.
Short answer: They're not aggressive, but (as with all males) they need to be put in their place; they are more likely to stay in their place than other breeds (like RIR or WL). I have also had Cochin roos, Orpington mix roos, a Brahma mix roo, and a Wyandotte mix roo; these guys are all on par with those breeds for friendliness, higher intelligence, and only slightly more aggressive than the most mild-mannered Cochin or Orp.
(I guess that wasn't very short. Sorry about that).
But I hope this has helped you some. =)

I've found my roo very friendly to me, my kids, and also important to my hens. He is territorial down at the coop when the girls are laying (spring). -- we free range also. But in a way I know it's necessary for survival and I respect that he's feisty when he needs to be. He also is gold for me since I'm the food lady. But today I picked up one of his hens and she squeaked a bit and he came out of the run and showed me didn't like it! Pecking at the ground. Ha! It's good he's protective of his girls. I actually want that free ranging.

I have 2 NHR roos and 2 hens that are about 8 weeks old.I have had them since day olds and they are all lovely (at the moment) but what does everyone think, am I definitely going to have to get rid of one roo? Nobody ever wants roos and I'm not sure that I could eat one
1f61e.png

We originally ordered all pullets thinking we did not want a rooster. However we have since changed our minds and want one, so we may be interested in taking one off your hands. Couple questions, is he a NHR, and do you know if they can be placed with younger hens. We are new to all this. The last factor would be your location. We are in Michigan.

I've been researching New Hampshire chickens. I have found that there is no proper breed called "New Hampshire Red"; it is a cross between true New Hampshire and a RIR. Those are the New Hampshire Reds we have available in American hatcheries. I understand that true heritage New Hampshire chickens are really only available from German lines (from breeders here in America, as well as from Germany). Does anyone else have any info on this?

I've been researching New Hampshire chickens. I have found that there is no proper breed called "New Hampshire Red"; it is a cross between true New Hampshire and a RIR. Those are the New Hampshire Reds we have available in American hatcheries. I understand that true heritage New Hampshire chickens are really only available from German lines (from breeders here in America, as well as from Germany). Does anyone else have any info on this?

Talk to Gjenson here on BYC. George has some New Hamps and knows most of the folks in his area. No, it is not true that the only good New Hampshire are the German. There are other outstanding lines of New Hampshire birds and I handled some of the best in the land at the Knoxville National in early December. They were Sgribble (aka Steven Gribble's) birds. Some of the best birds, NH or otherwise, I've ever had the pleasure of handling. Matt1616 here on BYC Matt Ulrich also has outstanding birds. I posted a photo below.

The exhibitions typically have excellent New Hampshires displayed. Just remember that 95% of the better breeders of fowl are not on BYC and many, do not ever do the internet.

@TeaChick This thread was started by a young chickeneer who has a love for her NH's and is just using the Nick Name often given the breed New Hampshire. We've all shared here in her delight for the breed and we understand in this particular thread when they mention NH Red they are referring to New Hampshire in general. Discussion of NH crosses are also welcome I'm sure in this particular thread.

Last edited:
Talk to Gjenson here on BYC. George has some New Hamps and knows most of the folks in his area. No, it is not true that the only good New Hampshire are the German. There are other outstanding lines of New Hampshire birds and I handled some of the best in the land at the Knoxville National in early December. They were Sgribble (aka Steven Gribble's) birds. Some of the best birds, NH or otherwise, I've ever had the pleasure of handling. Matt1616 here on BYC Matt Ulrich also has outstanding birds. I posted a photo below.

The exhibitions typically have excellent New Hampshires displayed. Just remember that 95% of the better breeders of fowl are not on BYC and many, do not ever do the internet.

Thank you so much!!! I'll look into all of that information! =)

@TeaChick This thread was started by a young chickeneer who has a love for her NH's and is just using the Nick Name often given the breed New Hampshire. We've all shared here in her delight for the breed and we understand in this particular thread when they mention NH Red they are referring to New Hampshire in general. Discussion of NH crosses are also welcome I'm sure in this particular thread.

I see. Thank you for the clarification. I hope I didn't come across as a know-it-all or anything like that. I'm just looking for information on heritage NHs. =)
Thanks very much! =)

Back
Top Bottom