New Hampshire Red thread!!!!!!!!!

Pics

Finally warmed up enough to let the chicks out for a little bit, they are just over a month old. Have gotten so big so fast, not sure now much longer they will be able to fit in the brooder. How old should they before they can stay out in the coop or does it really depend more on the temperature? I thought I read somewhere it should stay above 50 degrees at night.

This is little Peep

NewHampshires mature very early and feather rapidly.Seeing your chicks,I think you'll be able to let them out in at least another month.I would first make sure the weather is gonna be warm from here on.

Finally warmed up enough to let the chicks out for a little bit, they are just over a month old. Have gotten so big so fast, not sure now much longer they will be able to fit in the brooder. How old should they before they can stay out in the coop or does it really depend more on the temperature? I thought I read somewhere it should stay above 50 degrees at night.
Beautiful chicks!

My plans:
I already have 3 NewHampshire hens.2 are mines,and 1 is my grandparents.My mom (Yay mom!),is gonna be a chicken coop (Hopefully),and when I get it,i'm gonna use it for my Buff Orpingtons,Newhampshire chicks,and an extra bird or two.Then I will buy a Cockeral (Newhampshire),and just hatch my own Newhampshires.What do you guys think?

I think that's a great fun plan. I have orps with my red chicks :) can't wait till they're all grown up and laying eggs. And to find out if peep here is a pullet or cockerel! If we end up with one cockerel I might separate the reds in the garden coop and see if I can hatch out some little cuties!

Talk to Gjenson here on BYC. George has some New Hamps and knows most of the folks in his area. No, it is not true that the only good New Hampshire are the German. There are other outstanding lines of New Hampshire birds and I handled some of the best in the land at the Knoxville National in early December. They were Sgribble (aka Steven Gribble's) birds. Some of the best birds, NH or otherwise, I've ever had the pleasure of handling. Matt1616 here on BYC Matt Ulrich also has outstanding birds. I posted a photo below.

The exhibitions typically have excellent New Hampshires displayed. Just remember that 95% of the better breeders of fowl are not on BYC and many, do not ever do the internet.

Where can I get some like this

Thanks Bogtown Chick and LoveThemBirds! I am amazad at how quickly they have grown and feathered out. We are still finishing the coop, just using whatever reclaimed materials we have. It should be ready hopefully next weekend. I can't wait to let them out there and see how they respond to all the extra room. How do you keep them from scratching all the feed out of the feeder and onto the floor? They seem to waste almost as much as they eat.
idunno.gif

You can wet the food down in one of those rubber bowls. I wouldn't use a metal feeder if it is wet. Another thing I've been doing now too to ration feed is fermenting it. The birds get more nutritional value from the feed, no waste, poo does not smell as bad and they seem to eat less. There's lots of great information here on BYC about it. Just enter Fermented Feed in the search bar.

Back
Top Bottom