New Hampshire Red thread!!!!!!!!!

Pics
I'm just starting out in the Poultry world, we have 4 Rouens, that are 6 weeks old right no, and we have 8 NH pullets, 3 NH cock chicks, and then 4 Bourbon Red turkeys coming the beginning of May.

Here is a pick of the Coop I built

That's really a cute coop! It looks pretty well-made. Sounds like you got a nice bunch of birds too.

That's really a cute coop! It looks pretty well-made. Sounds like you got a nice bunch of birds too.
Thanks, Its left over siding from our house, with 2x4 framing, OSB, Plywood, Decking, too much hardware cloth... The doors are stupid, Their framed twice with 2x4/2x6 with overlap around the edges. They kinda remind me of a Safe door. I'm thinking I should have made it a little bigger but oh well. Internally I'm pretty happy although I need to figure out how to hang a water so the ducks can't dirty it up right away but the Turkey's and chickens have access. And their is no room for the Turkey Nesting box that I made. I'll just throw that outside though. I like the Rouens, but I wanted a nice colorful layer duck and couldn't find any locally. I'm excited for the NHs. I'm hoping at least one of the roosters will be good to keep as its looks is part of the reason I went with the NH.

In my coop I put a hook up in the ceiling and then hung a chain from that and fasten that to my waterer and feeders. Also before that I would set them up on something hire that they couldn't reach as easy and network to but that was with the chickens ducks I'm not sure. Good luck with that.

I'm looking into wall mounted PVC with horizontal nipples. I want to do a feed one too but need to look at connector options.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Hey!! I have a question. When can you tell if new hampshires are male or female. I know its too early to tell now i have one that is 3 weeks but i wasnt sure when i could tell. Does anyone know?? ^_^

Hello everyone! decided to join this thread!! I'm getting my first mixed flock of 4 soon, maybe 5, and I'm getting a Buff Orpington, Black Australorp, Light Brahma, and now I think I might just get a NHR!! I want a Rhode Island Red but I hear they can be bully's in mixed flocks
1f615.png
NHR's seem to be very friendly!! And good layers
1f60f.png
if I am wrong about their temperament please correct me!!!

Hello everyone! decided to join this thread!! I'm getting my first mixed flock of 4 soon, maybe 5, and I'm getting a Buff Orpington, Black Australorp, Light Brahma, and now I think I might just get a NHR!! I want a Rhode Island Red but I hear they can be bully's in mixed flocks
1f615.png
NHR's seem to be very friendly!! And good layers
1f60f.png
if I am wrong about their temperament please correct me!!!

When I got NH into a mixed flock and they were chicks (i.e. on the bottom of the pecking order), they were fine.
When I got NH with an assortment of chicks (all shipped in the same box, i.e. all equal), they picked on my Sicilian and she died as a result of the stress of traveling with them like that.
I would get the NH a little later if possible. If you can't, then one would be alright.

When I got NH into a mixed flock and they were chicks (i.e. on the bottom of the pecking order), they were fine.
When I got NH with an assortment of chicks (all shipped in the same box, i.e. all equal), they picked on my Sicilian and she died as a result of the stress of traveling with them like that.
I would get the NH a little later if possible.  If you can't, then one would be alright.
Ok that's what I'm gonna do. Get one of each breed. Are they good layers?

Back
Top Bottom