New Hampshire!!

Required tests for certification in the NPIP are Salmonella Pullorum/Typhoid. This needs to be done in order to become NPIP certified. Once certified I can sell my extra eggs, chickens over 5 months old and enter them into a show (think Deerfield) if I like. I also can't bring other birds or babies into my flock without them being from an NPIP flock or I invalidate my status.

I just had my chickens tested yesterday. Think it's a good idea. you never know what wild birds will carry & bring in. since I am starting to sell eggs , it's really important . about birds from an untested flock, thanks for that info. I didn't know that.

So i just joined byc yesterday and i am soo glad to see so many people from new hampshire...i am from rochester...i just got my first chicks on friday and i am in love....my big question is how do they do in the winter?...do they stay in their coop?.....do you heat or not?.....

I also have winter hardy breeds and did not plan on heating the coop. My DH (who wanted nothing to do with the chickens) felt bad for them this winter, ran a heavy duty outside cord to the coop and put a red 250w heat bulb in. Somewhere on this forum I read about the "thermo cube" that turns on when its 35 degrees or lower and turns off at 45 degrees or higher. I plugged the red light into this and hung it over their waterer.

I also have winter hardy breeds and did not plan on heating the coop. My DH (who wanted nothing to do with the chickens) felt bad for them this winter, ran a heavy duty outside cord to the coop and put a red 250w heat bulb in. Somewhere on this forum I read about the "thermo cube" that turns on when its 35 degrees or lower and turns off at 45 degrees or higher. I plugged the red light into this and hung it over their waterer.
250 watt is way over kill. You are just wasting electricity. We acquired a trio of Nankins this past winter from a farm on the Canadian border, and they were living in a hedge row... never mind heat, they didn't have shelter, and they fared just fine.. If you have winter hardy breeds, you aren't doing them any favors heating the coop... you don't want to make them soft. Just my opinion.

Anyone know where I can buy medicated turkey starter? Just went to TSC and Agway and all they had was unmedicated. Chick feed was medicated but I need turkey starter for some keets I am getting. I'm willing to travel a bit, I'm in southern NH. thanks

Anyone know where I can buy medicated turkey starter? Just went to TSC and Agway and all they had was unmedicated. Chick feed was medicated but I need turkey starter for some keets I am getting. I'm willing to travel a bit, I'm in southern NH. thanks
Blue Seal in Milford, maybe?

Can u explain dust bath to me?.....i have heard of people using old tires and puttin sand in them....what is the purpose of this?

Try Dodge Grain in Salem. You may want to call first though...

Back
Top Bottom