New Hampshire!!

ponygal12

Songster
10 Years
Nov 29, 2009
New Hampshire
Anyone live in New Hampshire?
hu.gif
I live in the southern part of the state in a very small town outside of Manchester.

I also have winter hardy breeds and did not plan on heating the coop. My DH (who wanted nothing to do with the chickens) felt bad for them this winter, ran a heavy duty outside cord to the coop and put a red 250w heat bulb in. Somewhere on this forum I read about the "thermo cube" that turns on when its 35 degrees or lower and turns off at 45 degrees or higher. I plugged the red light into this and hung it over their waterer.
250 watt is way over kill. You are just wasting electricity. We acquired a trio of Nankins this past winter from a farm on the Canadian border, and they were living in a hedge row... never mind heat, they didn't have shelter, and they fared just fine.. If you have winter hardy breeds, you aren't doing them any favors heating the coop... you don't want to make them soft. Just my opinion.

Quote:
big_smile.png
Ay-yut! It shuah is! Ry't on the cawnah of th'stay'yt...'cross th'rivah from Bahnet, Ve'mont dontch'no.
cool.png

Pleez'd ta make ur quaint'ns.
woot.gif

Pleez'd ta make yer quaintins too theyuh Ya know. I grew up close ta vuhmawnt too...never cared fer it much. Too minny dang weerdos and flatlunduhs flocked inta that state. Buhsoides...how kin ya trust a state what has mowah caows then peeple, eh? I do miss livin' up nawth but I knew minny yeeuhs ago that my girls would have a bettah chance at loife iff'n I grew them up down heeyah....so..I moved to Loudin darn neeyah 30 yeeahs ago, doncha know. It paid off fer them real good, ya know. thay ah very well edgycated and buth uv 'em have good jobs now. I spend my days tendin' my wive's chickins.....tendin' the gahden...and enjoyin' my early retiuhmint. I wood post some pichuhs of thuh chickins and such but I don't know how ta do such stuff...I'm not too awful broight heehah doncha know.
old.gif

Live in Pembroke now, but originally from up nawth too. Canaan VT. Most of my extended family is in N. Stratford and Colebrook now though.
smile.png

This is one of the chicks I got from nhnanna. We named him (or her, no idea really) Gandalf. He has decided I'm his momma. He cries and cries and cries in the brooder box, but if you pick him up and let him perch on your hand, he goes to sleep. It's beyond cute. :)

Yes, I am replying to my own post, haha. But I wanted the first photo in there. Here's a pic of Gandalf today. He's still the biggest sweetie. Now if I put my hand in the brooder box, he jumps up on it, walks up my arm to my shoulder, and tucks himself under my ponytail. It's too cute. nhnanna hatches the sweetest chicks. :)

Yes, I am replying to my own post, haha. But I wanted the first photo in there. Here's a pic of Gandalf today. He's still the biggest sweetie. Now if I put my hand in the brooder box, he jumps up on it, walks up my arm to my shoulder, and tucks himself under my ponytail. It's too cute. nhnanna hatches the sweetest chicks. :)

So cute! What breed?

thanks.. i guess i should try to find out how to do it - I am sure it wont be the last time... I cant say butchering chickens has ever been on my bucket list, but I know people do it all the time.... . Let me know if you come up with anyone - Thank you!

I never thought I'd kill a chicken, either! Not that I was ever explicitly against it, it just never occurred to me that it'd be part of my life, heh. But once I decided I wanted to breed chickens, I figured I'd better put my big girl pants on and learn how to process the extra roos that you inevitably have when you hatch your own eggs. I'm still mostly new at it, I think we've done less than a dozen total. But we're getting better at it and I figure I owe it to them to do it right and do it quick. Not that someone you pay to do it won't do it right; they're pros after all! I just felt like it should be my responsibility, you know? And there's a ton of info here on backyard chickens, mostly in the meat birds forum, if you want to learn. That's how I learned to do ours, I read everything I could find. Anyway, philosophical thoughts aside, here's the place we used to slaughter our pig this year (since, as much as I'd like to process my own pig, there's no way I have the facilities for an animal that large! chickens are easy by comparison!!!): http://newenglandmeat.com/ Their website seems to be under construction still, but the contact info is there so you could ask what they'd charge for poultry. I'll try to talk to my co-worker on Monday about the visit-your-home processor.

Back
Top Bottom